News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Any experience with Alamo BMW or Lone Star BMW (Central TX)?

Started by Dr. Mordo, July 26, 2008, 01:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mordo

Alamo is closest and they also work on Triumphs and I think they are gonna work on my Steamer carbs.

Lone Star BMW is slightly further away.  Because of the distance and a significant waiting list they are my second choice to work on my bike (they also work on Triumphs).

There is no third choice.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Taking that bike to a BMW dealer is probably going to leave you broke and pissed off.  

No independant cycle shops near you?

Pose the same question over on the Chain Gang and see what you get.
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

I know what you mean, but both these dealers do as much Triumph as they do BMW.  In fact, the sales manager at Alamo said they sell far more Triumph than BMW.

No local places would mess with it.  I used to be a car mechanic, and my boss was never anxious to do jobs that were time intensive.  They want to get stuff in and out as quickly as possible to get that money.  I even called Zabors in Austin which is semi-legendary in he local area and they flatly told me 'no'.

I did ask the Chain Gang about it, though.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

I had a friend of mine go through my carbs.  I got a chance to inspect them while disassembled.  There really is not much to them.  If you know a little bit of CV carb theory, you can figure out what all the parts do.

I think next time (if there is a next time :roll: ) I'll do it myself.  There really is not much there.  I think they are less complicated than a Holley four barrel carb.

If I was closer to you, I'd help you out with them....but it might cost you a tri-tip sammich or two. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

I would happily feed you if you get make it run right!  I've gotten it to the point where it runs and I ride it to work, but it's still running pretty rich and the plugs are still building up carbon, though they aren't completely fouling like they were before.  I figure that at this point it's worth paying for a couple hours labor to have it run right.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

jmurguia

...funny you ask:

I took my new (to me) '06 2 months ago to Alamo for 12k service.  Almost $550, but I expected that much & I don't mind investing in my vehicles. (I'm mechanicaly inept & too much of a risk for me + tools + anything w/motor). They were helpful & courteous.

When my Tiger came home, it was running great, but still getting @ 30 MPG & gas gauge not working.  

Took it back & ran diagnosis right away. Hour later, "everything shows OK & MPG since you have Staintune Exhuast...@ $200 for sending unit + labor for gas gauge."

I called Lonestar BMW/Triumph (Austin) & they loaded latest map. MPG @44 & gas gauge works!!!...for $40 & 1 hour of my time. I didn't mind the ride & blasting up & down the interstate. Very helpful & very nice people.

Then before my scheduled trip to Yellowstone, my running lights go out. Not trusting of local Triumph at this point,  took it to Rhinewest here in town.  They only work on BMWs but Hank said he'd take a look at it & try to get it back in time for my trip.  

$392 (ignition switch + labor) & 10 days later, I'm reunited with my Tiger. Also, kidney stone(s) land me in ER during that time = blown budget & not healthy.  Trip postponed... (Thank God for morphine & pain killers!!!)

I took the bad igniton switch to Alamo Monday & politley complain @ all of the above...Service Manager says, "I'm frustrated w/ Triumph...now we have the latest map like Austin does."  

I explain that only Triumph Dealerships worked on my Tiger and my ignition switch goes bad from long term chaffing (wires cut & pulled out of ignition switch base)...so, Triumph is responsible for it.  

To his credit, he takes my bad ignition switch & says he'll call Triumph.
He calls today, "Triumph will reimbursh you...even though it is out of warranty, they'll do it out of good will. I need a copy of the receipt. You may want to bring it in today so I can submit fast, before they forget what they said...wow, you were charged $90/hr for labor...we charge $78/hr...I'll see what I can do."

SO, I thank him for his integrety & trying to ammend things...now I'll wait for the call that my refund is ready!!!

...sorry so long, but that's my limited experience w/ both dealers. Good luck!
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

Dr. Mordo

Don't be sorry for the long explanation - that's exactly what I wanted.

So it seems to me that your impression of Alamo was that they tried hard but weren't the best of service, while Lone Star did it right the first time?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger