News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Learning to ride off-road with a tiger?

Started by rjvolt, July 29, 2008, 03:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fano

Tiger is my first bike after 25 years. I have never riden off road before, so I learned on what I had.

JetdocX

Quote from: "fano"Tiger is my first bike after 25 years. I have never riden off road before, so I learned on what I had.

I've been on that kind of climb.  Just nail it and close my eyes hoping to reach the top... :shock:

Good on ya for riding it like a rented mule! :D
From parts unknown.

fano

Quote from: "JetdocX"I've been on that kind of climb.  Just nail it and close my eyes hoping to reach the top... :shock:

I was in Reno today. I just got back. I picked up a new toy for me :D

JetdocX

Quote from: "fano"
Quote from: "JetdocX"I've been on that kind of climb.  Just nail it and close my eyes hoping to reach the top... :shock:

I was in Reno today. I just got back. I picked up a new toy for me :D

WTF?  You come to my town and you don't let me buy you some food or beer or both???? :shock:

And come clean with the toy, pronto mister! 8)
From parts unknown.

fano

Well, I just flew in and had to ride this home  :roll:

I was in such a hurry that even this guy didn't like it.

Maybe next time :occasion14

JetdocX

That's nice!  I need one of those also!

Impressions???

risking thread hijack here, though...
From parts unknown.

fano

Quote from: "JetdocX"That's nice!  I need one of those also!

Impressions???

risking thread hijack here, though...
I know, so only shortly.

On the freeway, nothing special, but I did  stop by on the way home to play a little in the desert and I see a lot of potential  :P. That suspension is unreal.

greg

I know it's obvious, but standing up on the pegs makes a huge difference, Tourashite do some nice pegs that are better than the originals, and fit handlebar risers - crashbars are ESSENTIAL.
By standing on the pegs you are  helping the bike, and the standard suspension copes just fine. It might seem scary at first, but after a few miles sitting back down feels really weird too.
Nobblies help tremendously off road, but do slow the steering on road, plus less grip, you get used to it.
2004 Girly.

rjvolt

Quote from: "fano"Tiger is my first bike after 25 years. I have never riden off road before, so I learned on what I had.

That's encouragement!
2004 SV650 (Yellow)
2004 Tiger (Orange)

rjvolt

Here's an update if anyone is interested.

I went riding with a couple of buddies with sports bikes. We did some twisties, only my third time on the tiger. They were getting tired so they decided to head home. Being much less tired I decided to keep riding. I was close to the Forest Service road I tired last time so I figured I'll give it another try.

Before I even got on I figured I would do the same thing as last time, ride a little, get scared and turn around. I went to the forest service road and just keep riding. I ended up riding the entire 25 mile section with out dropping the bike or coming close.  The tight downhill turns were scary but didn't pose a problem. I just stayed calm and focused and everything went smoothly. It took me about a hour and a half to complete and from what I hear the road is relatively easy.

I can't wait to try it again.!
2004 SV650 (Yellow)
2004 Tiger (Orange)

Stretch

Welcome to The Hallowed Halls of The Initiated.  It's kind of like crossing the Equator on a ship, except you don't have to bow to Neptune.

Now face east, kneel, and recite three 'Hail Johns' (Bloor)

fano

Easy Tiger

I to had my first taste of "off road" a few weeks ago. 10 or so miles of gravel, not having ever riden a bike before this one I couldn't compare it to anything else. But boy was it good fun.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i