News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coupla quick questions

Started by Dr. Mordo, August 16, 2008, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mordo

1) Today my fuel petcock was sorta stuck.  I suspect I may need to flush the tank.  What do y'all use?  I am thinking about using diesel, which I seem to remember works well for this sort of thing.

2) One cylinder drops out intermittently.  I have replaced the coils and plugs but that's it. So I'm going to start with the wiring and work my way back to the computer.  When the computer fails, what happens?  I remember that Mustang had to replace one, but as I recall that bike just quit running altogether.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

aeronca

brother mordo, im not sure about flushing, but it sounds like a coil is failing. did you replace them with nology coils? i went through a couple in a row befor i bit the bullet and replaced all three with nology. also check your plug wire. good luck  :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Dr. Mordo

Yep, went with the Nologys.  I was just reading your thread about the carb/coil probs you had.  

So it was a combination of new coils and carb tuning that fixed it?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

aeronca

not sure, i think i had coil issue all along and induced the carb problems unknowingly :roll:  on the up side, i got to rebuild my carbs twice :lol:  in the end though it was a bad from stock coil. check your plug wires and go from there. also ohm out your coils.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

99% of the time the coils will ohm out fine at .6 ohms just like they are supposed to , but .....................even though the ohm check shows them good they will fail under a compression load or when the heat of operation gets to them after about a half hour of running .

If you have replaced them with nologys you are all set . but do check all the spade fittings on the wiring to the coils make sure they are good and tight and put a dab of lithium grease ( the white stuff) on the connectors .
Dr. if you have not replaced the pickup sensor on the crank I would do it the 95 tigers were notorious for this part failing ( 70 bucks from the dealer ) . It is supposed to ohm out at .6 ohms also but again that don't mean shit cause  one that is failing will usually ohm out good . Itcan and will make the bike run with your symptoms . again it doesn't like heat when it is failing .

Dr. Mordo

Hrm.  I guess I'll have to throw the P/U coil on my next Baxter's order.  

Did you ever flush your tank out 'Stang?  I have read of people doing it with plain water, so I figured I'd try that first.  It did seem to run a bit cleaner after I put a few gallons thru it.  I think I'm gonna run some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas to keep cleaning things out.

As always, thanks for the help.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Flush the fuel tank with gasoline.  Putting water or diesel in there is just asking for problems down the line.  If you are worried about varnish, use some seafoam or B-12 Chemtool in with your gas.
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

I had already flushed it with water, but sloshed some gas thru it just to be safe.

Thanks for the help dudes.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger