News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Talk me down, man....

Started by JetdocX, August 22, 2008, 04:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

My Steamer is about to go MIA in the desert for good.  Anyone need another POS Steamer?  Mustang?   :twisted:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Or:  Coming soon to a classified section really near you..... :lol:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

Dude, what happened?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

abruzzi

Nooo!  Well, If you're ditching it, I'm closer to NV than Mustang...or Dr. "El Duderino" Mordo.  :-)

I saw you were looking at a KTM--nice bikes, both I and Fano now have one.  Maybe others here too.

Geof

CrazyTed

Yeah, What happened?  As for KTM's, I race one.  Really nice bikes in the woods.
CrazyTed
Va Beach, VA
97 Tiger 885 Chili Pepper Red
06 KTM 450 EXC

JetdocX

I'm tired of the "it's always fookin' something with this bike" thing we have going on together.  I think it's just pissed that I took it apart last winter, changed all the rubber, the suspension, etc, etc, and so on.  I've had the plastic off this thing more times than I can count (both hands, both feet and unzipped) for one stupid thing or another.  Normally I'm pretty patient, but enough is enough.  I'd rather ride than look at the pieces of my bike in boxes in the garage.

It's a really fun bike to ride....when it is on it's game 100%.  It's no fun doing the PM for no good reason it seems.  

And I think my 3rd grade son could do a better job engineering this bike than Triumph did. :wink:

I'm going to bed.  I'll dream of flames or sledge hammers or hey, why not both?
From parts unknown.

Hooligan

I too have a 450EXC, actually there are 3 KTM's in my garage. Love the Tiger though.
Please PM me before you do something stupid.
(PM some pictures)
Cheers
W
96 Steamer
07 KTM 950R SE
05 KTM 450 EXC
06 KTM 85 SX
09 KTM 105 SX

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"I'm tired of the "it's always fookin' something with this bike" thing we have going on together.  I think it's just pissed that I took it apart last winter, changed all the rubber, the suspension, etc, etc, and so on.  I've had the plastic off this thing more times than I can count (both hands, both feet and unzipped) for one stupid thing or another.  Normally I'm pretty patient, but enough is enough.  I'd rather ride than look at the pieces of my bike in boxes in the garage.

It's a really fun bike to ride....when it is on it's game 100%.  It's no fun doing the PM for no good reason it seems.  

And I think my 3rd grade son could do a better job engineering this bike than Triumph did. :wink:

I'm going to bed.  I'll dream of flames or sledge hammers or hey, why not both?
What 's wrong now !?

JetdocX

It needs another head gasket, and I think based on the shitty performance over a 200 mile trip yesterday an ignition pickup (crank position sensor) thingie.

I just love throwing parts at this thing. :evil:

Question:  Will the 5 degree advance plate come with a new pickup?

Edit:  Nevermind, I see it in the BikeBandit parts list.

Those of you who have had one of these things fail, what were the symptoms?
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"It needs another head gasket, and I think based on the shitty performance over a 200 mile trip yesterday an ignition pickup (crank position sensor) thingie.

I just love throwing parts at this thing. :evil:

Question:  Will the 5 degree advance plate come with a new pickup?

Edit:  Nevermind, I see it in the BikeBandit parts list.

Those of you who have had one of these things fail, what were the symptoms?
The head gasket is probably a result of warped head maybe , who did the valve work , but more importantly who put the head back on ?

When the ignition p/u on the crank dies , you'll know !
It just plain dies instantaneous , the tach will drop to zero immediately and no spark on all three . Coast over to the side of the road , wait ten , fifteen maybe twenty minutes and it will light up and run for about five minutes and then heat up and die again .Repeat process until you are home .  :ImaPoser
Easy to replace you don't have to take the body work off :D

Your crappy performance is probably the head gasket

JetdocX

No it's definitely a miss fire or mis fueling.  It's intermittant and especially noticeable in the mid range while accelerating.  Seems to start when the bike gets warm.

Started yesterday after a fuel stop.  Ran most of the fuel out of the tank and refilled at another station 200 miles away and no change.

Fuel mileage did not change, so I'm doubting a carb problem.  

No water in the oil as the head gasket leak is very slight (about 12 ounces of water per week of riding or roughly two ounces per 200 miles).  No water present in the oil.  No oil in the water as far as I can tell.  No coolant leaking externally.  I keep the burp tank topped up and watch the level slowly drop at fuel stops.  Squeeze the lower radiator hose to check for air in the system.  

I was hoping to make it to winter before doing the head gasket or with my luck, the head because my luck works like this lately.

I don't think that small a leak into the cylinder would make any difference at all, but.........????
From parts unknown.

Mustang

That's a fair amount of coolant to be digesting !
It is probably going out the exhaust which is a good thing , because if it gets past the rings anti freeze and main bearings hate each other and the results are not pretty  :shock:

If you are using coolant you are losing compression on whichever cylinder is leaking and the <crap> FINE </crap>ignition is having a hard time dealing with the coolant .
It should get worse over time and you will also start to piss coolant out the overflow as more air is able to enter the system.

I'm just full of good news , aint I ? :evil:

On the bright side did you know that only six bolts hold the whole lump in the frame the downside is  you only have to remove most of the friggin bike to get there  :shock:

JetdocX

Or I could just light the fucker on fire and walk away. :lol:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

The last vehicle I had this much trouble with had a Fiat emblem on the hood. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

Are you seeing a lot of steam in the exhaust?

My bike has had similar symptoms, and it is almost certainly carb tuning, because I can almost tune it out altogether with constant tweaking.  I've finally gotten it to where the miss is gone from the mid range, but it still has a decent miss at idle.  Are you sure you just don't have some junk in the carbs?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger