News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2001 Tiger vs 2004 Tiger

Started by tigerfan, April 27, 2004, 04:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerfan

Hello all of you Tiger owners.  I want to become one and have put a deposit on a new black 2004 but have seen a new (from dealer) 2001 grean that is selling for possibly around 6k.  Are there any differences (improvements) with the newer 2004.  Thanks for any info and wow what a great riding bike.  

Tigerfan

NortonCharlie

They are basicaly the same bike.  Some of the 01's had recalls on the clutch cable and the ignition switches ussually vibrates loose.   Niether are a major problem.  I have a green 01 and it is great.  Find out what you get for sure.  The 04 comes with hard bags, The 01 might but at that price make sure before you make the deal if the bags are important to you.

The only major changes are on the 05 model starting to arrive at dealers now.  But you said black and that is not an option on the new 05.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Sasquatch

I can answer this one.  I bought a NEW, left over late 01 955i Tiger last November at the same time my dad bought a new 04 model.

There are two main differences.  The 04 has no crossbar on the handlebars, and shiny engine bolts.  That is it.  Totally identical.

The program in the computer is newer, but your dealer can upgrade your old program with a new one usually for free, or just a couple of bucks.

I would save your money, or buy an 05.

tigerjohn

I'd stick with your '04 model, which you should be able to haggle down to about £6500 - especially as the '05 is now here. Think depreciation! An 01 or 02 model - even if the differences are largely cosmetic - won't hold the same value as an '04.  When I was looking for mine - finally settled on a silver '04, there were a lot of green '02 models around. Got to ask yourself why? No offence to the 'greenies' out there, but they didn't sell as well as the black or, more recently, silver models.

Raven

Quote from: "tigerjohn"you should be able to haggle down to about £6500 - especially as the '05 is now here.

Just bought myself a 2005 for £6525 otr so £6500 is not much of a discount for the 2004 model....

:lol:

tigerfan

I am from the US so I am not sure how the $'s compare.  I am looking at paying $10,500 for my 2004 black Tiger.  Can you tell me what that is in Euro?

Westport Brit

$10,500 is 8,800 Euros or 5,910 Pounds. with hard bags that seems like a pretty good price if otr

Good luck!