News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

95 Tiger Steamer

Started by Bandit33, September 05, 2008, 12:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Bandit33"So, putting the 19 tooth front sprocket on would lower the rpms down about how much?....say at 70 mph?......about 400 or so rpms?

Does anyone ever change out the rear sprocket with one with fewer teeth, say go down 2 or 3 teeth?

Don

You could go with a 45 tooth rear but you may have to take two links out of the chain .
And yep pretty much 4-500 rpm for 1 tooth on the front a 19 would yeild approx 3500 rpm at 60-65 mph  :5moped

I bet you wouldn't need to change the number of links in the chain for 3 teeth in the rear...I used to use +5 in the rear -1 in the front and still had a little room in my adjuster.
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"I bet you wouldn't need to change the number of links in the chain for 3 teeth in the rear...I used to use +5 in the rear -1 in the front and still had a little room in my adjuster.
Yeah but he wants to go the other way 3 teeth smaller in back and I think a 114 link chain will be too loose

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Mudhen"I bet you wouldn't need to change the number of links in the chain for 3 teeth in the rear...I used to use +5 in the rear -1 in the front and still had a little room in my adjuster.
Yeah but he wants to go the other way 3 teeth smaller in back and I think a 114 link chain will be too loose

I realize that, but shouldn't it be the same either way?  3 up and the eccentric swings one way, 3 down and it swings the other?

Or is it that the eccentric isn't really centered, so going smaller would create the issue?  Been 15k miles since my bike had 18/48 on it...can't remember where the eccentric used to sit...

Come on Bandit...give it a whirl and solve this for us.  :wink:
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"Or is it that the eccentric isn't really centered, so going smaller would create the issue?  :

DING DING DING  we have a winner ! :D

With 18/48 sprockets you can  use a 112 link chain , even though Triumph calls for a 114 link one .