News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Flat tire options??

Started by cascadetiger, September 13, 2008, 06:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cascadetiger

I was out on I90 at Snoqualmie pass, about 30 miles from home in the middle of the mountains, no civilization out there.  I was cruising at 75 in the left lane.  The Steamer starts weaving all over.  I was thinking that my steering head bearings are really getting bad.  I pull over and the rear tire is just about flat.  The tire was new with only 300 miles on it.  A nail had gone thru it.  This is the first flat I have had in thousands of miles of riding.  

Does anyone have any good ideas on any repair kit for punctured tubes on the road?  Does the goo stuff work that you can spray into the tube?  

A guy came along with a pick up and an empty trailer full of motorcyle tie downs.  He asked if I needed a ride.  How fortunate!!!

Dr. Mordo

There are a bunch of different options here.  Walmart sells patch kits for bicycles that should work.  You just pry the tire halfway off the rim so you can get the tube out, scuff the rubber, glue on the patch, re-insert the tube, put the tire back on and inflate.  You can inflate with a bicycle pump if you like suffering, or buy a cheapo DC compressor that runs off a car or bike battery if you have an accessory plug on your bike.

You don't have to patch the tire, just the tube.

But if you want you can spend >$100 on quick fix kits from Touratech and similar places.  

I would only use tire slime in a pinch (such as broken down by the side of the road).  It weighs down the tire and can push it out of balance.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Carry a spare rear tube.  Do the tire change on the side of the road.  This is way easier if you have a centerstand.  Slime won't work with tubes. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Slime won't work with tubes. :evil:
It will make for a hell of an interesting ride though ! :ImaPoser

Try it some time ............you'll have the bead broke in no time and it lubes the tire up real good so getting it off to put in a new tube is much easier !

Ask me how I know............................ :mrgreen:

Dr. Mordo

They make slime for tube tires.  Does that not work?  I haven't tried it but assumed that it would.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

CrazyTed

Before I moved out of NJ and raced offroad bikes there, you almost had to have the Tire Slime for tubes in your bike if you wanted to finish a race.  The briars there would give you a flat really quick.  The slime actually helped balance our tires out as it flowed around the tire evenly.  It worked pretty good offroad.  Don't know about the street but you have to use the right slime.
CrazyTed
Va Beach, VA
97 Tiger 885 Chili Pepper Red
06 KTM 450 EXC

cascadetiger

I was sitting there watching the traffic go by wondering if the slime stuff and a small pump would be able to get me home, then I could get a new tube and change it at home.  I do not have a centerstand on my Steamer.  I would be imposible to repair the tube on the sidestand.

JetdocX

Not impossible, just really-really difficult. :lol:
From parts unknown.

fano

Just lay it down on the side and you are in business. 8)