News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve adjustment

Started by RickV, September 15, 2008, 03:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickV

I pulled the valve cover off my `99 Tiger today and checked the clearances.  It's been about 16K since they were checked.  All are either  borderline or just out of tolerance.  l was wondering how much to expect to pay a dealer to do the adjustments.  I could do it, but would need to by the lifter suppression tool.  The job looks like a pain in the a$$ & I'm kind of a geezer, so will probably let the dealer mechanic swap shims for me.  What are valve adjustments going for these days?

Thanks,
RickV

abruzzi

Quote from: "RickV"I pulled the valve cover off my `99 Tiger today and checked the clearances.  It's been about 16K since they were checked.  All are either  borderline or just out of tolerance.  l was wondering how much to expect to pay a dealer to do the adjustments.  I could do it, but would need to by the lifter suppression tool.  The job looks like a pain in the a$$ & I'm kind of a geezer, so will probably let the dealer mechanic swap shims for me.  What are valve adjustments going for these days?

Thanks,
RickV

I think Mustang sells a cheaper than triumph version of the tool.

Geof

Mustang

Quote from: "RickV"l was wondering how much to expect to pay a dealer to do the adjustments.  I could do it, but would need to by the lifter suppression tool.  The job looks like a pain in the a$$ & I'm kind of a geezer, so will probably let the dealer mechanic swap shims for me.  What are valve adjustments going for these days?

Thanks,
RickV

Are you sitting down .......................
dealer will hit you for about 400 bucks if you have a lot that need re shimming
You can do the job yourself much cheaper !

If you do it yourself at least you know it got done right ........just sayin'

blacktiger

Quote from: "RickV"I could do it, but would need to by the lifter suppression tool.  

I did mine last winter without the tool. I just removed all the cam caps and lifted the cams slightly which allowed me to remove the shims. Don't need to lift too far so the cam chain and timing stays put.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.