News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tires/rims

Started by REGULATOR, September 21, 2008, 03:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULATOR

SO I'm thinking of going more agressive with my tires then the tourances...
  some really decent dirt trails around my area and a lot of guys at work have klr/drz etc and go riding all the time, and I want a sporting chance of keeping up.

is there a source for replacment RIMS, so I coudl swap back and forth as needed or am di better just livign with knobbies on the street, and maybe swappign back to tourances if I have a 1000+  mile street trip planned etc

My rocket requires a tire machine to remove the rear,   are the Tiger tires a bit easier to swap?

Mustang

Two choices
1. TKC continentals ...........about 250 a set
2. Metzler Karoo's   ............about 250 a set

Mileage won't be that great out of either if you do a lot of blacktop , although they do handle very well on pavement .

Buy a KLR cause a tiger aint going to  run offroad with the KLR or drz for very long unless you are superhuman ........ or the "off road " is just a fire road .
Better yet get one of these and plate it and the KLR's won't be able to keep up  :ImaPoser

REGULATOR

well I don't expect a tiger to out do them,  I just don't want to be totally laughed at...
mostly fire roads adnd two lane trails...I can skip the single track...

maybe if I sell my rocket III I could afford some "dirt" bikes

mille44

Quote from: "REGULATOR"SO I'm thinking of going more agressive with my tires then the tourances...
  some really decent dirt trails around my area and a lot of guys at work have klr/drz etc and go riding all the time, and I want a sporting chance of keeping up.

is there a source for replacment RIMS, so I coudl swap back and forth as needed or am di better just livign with knobbies on the street, and maybe swappign back to tourances if I have a 1000+  mile street trip planned etc

My rocket requires a tire machine to remove the rear,   are the Tiger tires a bit easier to swap?

I had the Continental TK-80s on the Tiger for about 8000 miles.

#1 reason I went back to the Anikees is the way the bike handled on pavement, over 70 mph and the front got really squirlly.
#2 you get about 4000 - 4500 miles out of the rear as opposed to 6000 - 8000 with the Akikees.
#3 the Conties are shit in wet conditions on the road, Ive seen more than one bike on its side because of them.
#4 with a bike that tips the scale well over 500 pounds with rider, I dont think the knobbie tires give you much advantage in the dirt. Mud is a different story, but I'm not riding the Tiger in really muddy conditions. Anyway... My $0.02.
On the seventh day God made Triumphs; and the Devil rides a Triple!

If its wide enough for two wheels it\'s a road!

Keep talkin\'...I\'m takin\' up the trigger slack!

REGULATOR

I think I'll go with the trail attacks, and keep the off road excursions mild for now...

FullMonte

I've noticed that lowering tire pressure on both ends to low 20's makes a very noticeable difference when riding on dirt.  Just carry a Slime compressor for when you need to air back up.  Those TKC/Karoos are fine if most of your riding is off pavement.  However, they're made of butter which makes the mileage tradeoff not worth it for someone like me who spends 90% of his time on asphalt.  You'll save more than 2 cents by taking this advice. :wink:

edit: I have a DR650 for the rough stuff.  Right tool for the job.