News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Starting Problems.

Started by Zizi, September 26, 2008, 03:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zizi

Howdy y'all,

I've been having quite a bit of trouble getting my baby started in the mornings.  I was told that if anyone had any idea about what the problem is, I'd find them on this forum.  So here goes, I guess the best way to get any help is to tell you in detail what I've been noticing, I donno how many of these are relevant to the problem:
1) Ignition seems fine, battery is strong.
2) choke doesn't seem to kick in until after the bike has started and warmed up a little.
3) once bike is warmed up, it runs like a charm.
4) when I'm trying to start it, it spends a lot of time churning, and then seems like its gonna start and then it just dies (like its choking)
5) I have noticed that sometimes when its running rough (right after I get it started) I feel the side panels under my thighs blowing out (almost as though there was a pressur build up that was released from the air intake) kinda like a backfire you would get from an exhaust but of course not that intense.
6) when I start it up there is quite a bit of white smoke at the begining, but once its up and running no more.  

Thanks in advance y'all!
-Z

Mustang

What year and model tiger ?How many miles ?

Doesn't matter prolly because you have some tight intake valves that need adjusting if you haven't burned them already . quit ridin it and get em  checked , I bet you have a few or more that are zero clearance on the intakes !

NortonCharlie

My 01 had similar symptoms when the intakes valves went tight.  Tough starting cold ran good warm.  With the aluminum head the valves loosen when the engine warms up.  I had 3 intake valves with negative clearance.  Adjusted the valves and all was good (except the valves are sinking rather quickly now)
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

JetdocX

And when you run out of shims, you get to spend $1000 on new valves!  Just one of the perks of Steamer ownership. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Zizi

Thanks for the quick replies!
I just drove to main and got the tools I need from Mudhen, and will proceed over the next two days to check the valve clearances.  Hopefully, I'm not too bad off.  btw, its a 95 Tiger, donno miles off the top of my head.  Will keep y'all posted.

Thanks again,
-Z

Zizi

Howdy Y'all,

Thanks alot for the advice and help, and as promised here is the update.  First off you guys got it exactly right. All my intake valves were off!!!
the shims in there were 2.8mm and there was no clearance at ALL.. turns out I need about 2.55mm shims.  Unfortunately the dealer only had 2.45s so thats what went in :(  
so now I'm have about  .05-.1mms extra clearance.  
Now, the bike starts right up, and runs great.   I donno if I'm just being paranoid, but I can swear I'm hearing a little bit of clicking as I rev higher, I think it might be when the cam hits the shims.  

So I guess now I have 2 more questions:
1- How bad is it to be running with a valve clearance of about .2-.25mm when the recommended is .1-.15mm on the intakes.
2- I plan on replacing them with the correct ones next weekend, granted I can get the right size shims.  However it seems like a bitch to find a place that will sell shims online and have them over here by Friday.   So does anyone know of a place I can order from????

Thanks again,
Z

Stretch

You don't have to use Triumph brand shims.  Triumph water-cooled triples and four-cylinder engines use 25mm valve shims, as do many Honda and Yamaha engines.

Clicky for handy cross-reference guide:  http://www.sudco.com/25valveshims.html

Print that puppy and take it to your dealer(s) and see if they can hook you up with comparable in-stock items.

Mustang

Quote from: "Zizi"Howdy Y'all,

Unfortunately the dealer only had 2.45s so thats what went in :(  
so now I'm have about  .05-.1mms extra clearance.  
Now, the bike starts right up, and runs great.   I donno if I'm just being paranoid, but I can swear I'm hearing a little bit of clicking as I rev higher, I think it might be when the cam hits the shims.  

So I guess now I have 2 more questions:
1- How bad is it to be running with a valve clearance of about .2-.25mm when the recommended is .1-.15mm on the intakes.
2- I plan on replacing them with the correct ones next weekend, Z

Do not worry about using the 2.45 shims , it will NOT hurt anything and I think the ticking you hear is normal valve lash now that you have some clearance , you been riding awhile with no clearance  :wink:

And personally I wouldn't bother replacing the shims that you put in . I always set the valve clearances on the big side then I can go  longer without having to check them or adjust them . You are only out of spec by .002-.004  and I have seen engines from triumph factory that were worse than that ! :shock:

Zizi

Thats a relief! Might end up doing them anyway, but won' be makin it a priority.   Anyway, I owe y'all a big time!
thanks,
Z