News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New steamer owner wondering about my clutch

Started by bad hand, October 04, 2008, 04:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad hand

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and Triumphs in general. I just bought a 95, and am sorting out a few things.  My clutch does not catch until the lever is all the way out.  I've never had a hydraulic clutch so don't know if this is common.  Everything seems fine, w no slipping or other quirks.  Also, will cranking the bike in gear possibly harm the sprag clutch?  Thanks in advance for your help.
Bad Hand

JetdocX

I don't think the clutch thing is an issue (at least I hope not because mine does the same thing).

I start mine in gear all the time as long as the clutch lever is pulled.

Now Mustang's gonna come along and ruin our day.... :lol:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

Mine catches pretty late, too.  Changing the fluid might not be a bad idea if you want to be sure.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"I don't think the clutch thing is an issue (at least I hope not because mine does the same thing).

I start mine in gear all the time as long as the clutch lever is pulled.

Now Mustang's gonna come along and ruin our day.... :lol:

Now Now boys , I start mine in gear too ! Just not first try in the morning ..........there is a lot of drag on those clutch plates with thick cold oil . :oops:

JetdocX

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Mine catches pretty late, too.  Changing the fluid might not be a bad idea if you want to be sure.

I would think that engaging near the end of travel is an indication of healthy brake fluid.  Clean fluid transmits force better than contaminated fluid.

But if you don't know how long the fluid has been in there, change it.  I think the maintenance sched. calls for a two year replacement interval. :wink:
From parts unknown.

offtheback

A hydraulic clutch acts like your brake calipers, they self adjust w/ the fluid. When you notice the clutch slipping while giving the bike throttle then you have a problem.  Adjustable levers will allow you to adjust the reach, if the release is too far for your hands

+1 for changing the fluid..
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break

bad hand

Thanks for the feedback.  The long throw on the lever only bothers me riding 2 up when trying to stagger away from a stop.   All else on the bike feels good.  It reportedly had a full service along w new chain, sprockets, and tires 2k ago.  With less than 17k on the clock I hope to enjoy quite a few trouble free miles.