News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

valve seals?

Started by Uralite, October 08, 2008, 09:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uralite

Hey fellas,

I just went on a 2600 mile trip and used about 2 quarts of oil in my 05 girle. It is in getting 24K service right now. They siad it could be valve seals as the compression is ok. The only way to figure out if it is valve seals is to replce them for around $600.

Please weigh in your opinion, is this worth it. My feel is that if they could be sure this would reduce oil consumption I would be ok with it. But this is diagnostic and may not do a thing.

Thoughts?  :shock:

Uralite

I decided not to do it. I will just keep puttin' in oil

darmah

what model bike? Have you read info on centrifugal breather on stemers and 885 motor?
dress for the +#@!! fall, not the ride!

Uralite

I have the 955i Girly (2005), I was told by the dealer that the 955i motor had this potential problem fixed. Unless anyone knows otherwise, not all service dudes can be trusted.  :lol:

EvilBetty

I was was confused on this too.  After just changing mine out I'm not sure it's the problem.  I'm going to put the suggested Mobile 4T in it next oil change and see if it improves.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Uralite

If it changes for you I hope so, I have been using Mobil 1 4T as suggested since I got the bike. I may try something different next change.

darmah

I have been a chasing an overall performance problem on my 885, thinking it was fuel intake I disconnected my crankcase oil breather to airbox and found it to be misting a good bit of oil even after a recent (10k) crankcsae rotary vent oil seal. The problem turned out to be burned valves not seating on # 3 cylinder, but now I have the oil consumption problem again. I probably never really fixed it to begin with. Peculiar that the 955 motor doesn't even have this contraption but has a similar consumption malady. Might need to investigate further upstream in the case relief mechanism , if there is one!
 More to come.
dress for the +#@!! fall, not the ride!