News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What's worse than a receding Hairline ?

Started by Mustang, October 11, 2008, 12:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

R E C E D I N G     V A L V E S

Looks like Tigger #2 has gone tits up and needs a valve job .
I haven't pulled the plastic to check the clearances , but I can tell by the way she's been starting that I got some intakes that are at zero clearance . :shock:

The last time I shimmed em was 15 k ago and #1 is prolly the culprit and will also probably be out of shim size to get another adjust out of her . # 2 is probably tight too , by the way she's starting and running cold I'm betting #3 is the only one that is good .
Been an expensive piggie this year  two rear tires a front tire , two sets of front brke pads , a chain and sprokets , needs tires again front and rear and a valve job  :(

The good news is I have a good low mile head complete with cams to go on the beast . That saves me about 900 bucks  :eusa_clap

The moral of the story is : If you spend a lot of time at 6000 rpm and up you are gonna get receding Valves !

Stretch

I checked mine yesterday (24,000 miles, 955i).  All were happily within spec.

I wanted to remove the cams to re-torque the head, but the previous valve checker must not have had the tool, so he removed the cams to change a shim or two and torqued the cam cap bolts so tight that I broke two T-30 sockets trying to loosen them.

My head gasket isn't seeping at all, but this was something I really wanted to do for peace of mind.  Any ideas for removing overly tight cam cap bolts?

Dr. Mordo

Wow, bad news 'Stang.  It's good that you have your own Steamer junkyard there or else things would be really bad.

Why do you think higher RPMs contribute to valve recession?  And exactly how much time do you spend there?

Stretch - I have no idea.  I'm thinking that an airgun might be a bad idea, but that would be my next thought normally.  I wonder if the dude loctited them in?

Meanwhile I just got my shock back from Sasquatch, so my Steamer should be up and running again this weekend.  Woo-hoo!
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"Wow, bad news 'Stang.  It's good that you have your own Steamer junkyard there or else things would be really bad.

Why do you think higher RPMs contribute to valve recession?  And exactly how much time do you spend there?
Well tigger #1 doesn't ever (ok when I ride it  once in a blue moon ) see the topside of 5500 and is a 95 and has had all of two intakes shimmed once with 45k on it . Wifes bike
Tigger 2 sees long days on the highway at 6000 rpm . Yep 90 mph for 12 hours sometimes . And I've been known to take it off the rev limiter a time or two  hehehe
In my defense though I did once hear about a bunch of 98's having a problem with the valves sinking into the heads .
The head I have is from a 96 so we shall see ...............

QuoteMeanwhile I just got my shock back from Sasquatch, so my Steamer should be up and running again this weekend.  Woo-hoo!

You are going to absolutely love the way she will handle with a decent shock ........you'll be able to chase down squids in the twistys  :D

JetdocX

Sorry to hear that Mustang.  I know how it feels.  I hope you are wrong about the >600RPM valve recession thing, but I'll let you know how it goes for me because I like riding the revs that high and hit the rev limiter in the lower gears more than I probably should. :roll:   If the RPM thing is real then the red line should be down around 6000.  Wouldn't that make this bike BORING!  On mine, 6000 is right in the middle of the fun zone. :shock:

Stretch, try a six point socket from some source other than Harbor Freight.  And heat the bolt up first with your crack torch. :lol:
From parts unknown.

armadillo76

Hey Mustang, I guess it's good news that I blew my motor, eh? Glad to help. I may have to worry about that some day. The Sprint motor in the Tiger makes me want to go faster and rev higher than I ever did with the Tiger motor! Doesn't help the gas mileage and I just know the cops are waiting for a gizmo'd out red Tiger ridden by the man in the red suit (not Santa)!
Good thing you have extra Tigers too;-)
AndyB, NH.
Need to Join "The Valve Club for Tigers?" Transplanting valves to help your receding ones?

Mustang

It is never good to "blow your motor" :oops:
But yea that 96 head is going to be sweet  on my tigger
I still am convinced that the receding valves are a 98 steamer thing
I knew it was coming but have been in denial :ImaPoser

Stretch

Quote from: "JetdocX"Stretch, try a six point socket from some source other than Harbor Freight.  And heat the bolt up first with your crack torch. :lol:

Craftsman and Snap-On tools here, no cheapies.  With aluminum cam bearing caps, I believe a torch would be an exceptionally bad idea.

JetdocX

Use localized heat on the bolt head.  Don't you have a small crack torch?  I do.  Good for making creme-brulle as well!

Or use a butane soldering iron with the torch tip...I have one of those too.  Extremely useful tool.
From parts unknown.

tgrrdr

Quote from: "Mustang"In my defense though I did once hear about a bunch of 98's having a problem with the valves sinking into the heads .

valves "sunk into the head" on mine right after the warranty ran out - it's been a few years but I too recall it being a "common" issue for the 98's.
Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0