News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2 Cats in the garage now!

Started by jsingraham, October 15, 2008, 05:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsingraham

Well, the latest one isn't a Tiger, but a Fatcat....Honda TR200.  Need something to take to the woods and to play around with my kids on their JR50.

Will need a few parts to do a complete restore on it, but bike is about 85% complete and runs.  Anyone know of any parts bikes or someone with some Fatcat parts...primarily plastic, handlebars and maybe a seatpan.

Jason in KC
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

Stretch

Wow, I remember those.  Big, fat three-wheeler wheels and tires on a motorcycle.  I think the engine came out of a three-wheeler also.

Bitchin'!

jsingraham

yeah, the motor is basically the same for all of the 200's back in the mid 80's whether it was the Fatcat, ATC's or TRX's.  Main differences were manual or auto clutches and some of the tranny's had reverse on them depending on the models.

This one has the auto clutch, but I have my eye on a 350x motor if i can squeeze it in there.  

It won't take the place of the Tiger...but it gives me that off road option with the kids that the Tiger just ain't quite made for!
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel

Stretch

Is it geared low?  Good rock-crawler?

jsingraham

yeah, it is geared pretty low.  I haven't actually had it out to ride any yet, and there is no speedo on it, but I would guess top speed to be about 55 or so, and with 5 gears, it is definitely not a Tiger.  Plus, I will probably adjust my sprocket sizes a bit to make it a real woods/trail bike as I don't intend to really ever get into 4th or 5th gear too often.
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel

Stretch

Sweet.  I still have my old '71 Trail 90 out in the shed.  I got a bunch of parts on fleabay a couple years ago, aiming to restore the thing, but I haven't started on it yet.

If you're not familiar, they had a lever under the gearbox that you could shift (in neutral, sitting still) to split the gear ratios give it a 1:2 underdrive.  They were 4-speed, auto clutch, and with good tires, you could climb a tree.  :mrgreen: