News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Noisy top end

Started by RobH, October 22, 2008, 10:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobH

Just reshimmed my valves and find the top end is sounding pretty bad. I've recently sorted out DAR and a few other problems, don't know whether the improvement in bottom end noise is highlighting the noisy top end now?? It sounds like the cams flapping around, I haven't measured clearances yet, is cam journal and housing/cap wear the most likely culprit? (34K miles) I'm praying not as this is apparently a complete cylinder head replacement job.

I'm really losing faith in this bike, it should still have plenty of life in it at 34K but I guess the last owner didn't treat it well....

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

RobH

Mustang

Quote from: "RobH"Just reshimmed my valves and find the top end is sounding pretty bad. I've recently sorted out DAR and a few other problems, don't know whether the improvement in bottom end noise is highlighting the noisy top end now?? It sounds like the cams flapping around, I haven't measured clearances yet, is cam journal and housing/cap wear the most likely culprit? (34K miles) I'm praying not as this is apparently a complete cylinder head replacement job.

I'm really losing faith in this bike, it should still have plenty of life in it at 34K but I guess the last owner didn't treat it well....

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

RobH
you didn't mix up the cam caps from their original position did you ?
and yes you are correct in assuming complete head replacement if the caps are  worn out

RobH

Yep, funny thing (!), I made a special effort to keep each cap in a seperate numbered box and put them back exactly as they came off, didn't pay much attention to the numbering etched into the caps as I assumed someone had done this themselves using their own illogical method. I pulled the cover back off this morning and checked the numbering, having consulted the Triumph manual diagram, sure enough they were completely mixed up, must have been done by the last owner. I'm wondering what I'm going to find next :-

On the plus side it now sounds much better and my misfire/stutter is gone thanks to some Daytona direct fire coils. I'm keeping my fingers x'd that it's sorted for now...

Thanks and regards

RobH

offtheback

I thought I bought a project...
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break

Kiwi Tiger

Rob.  Re do the shims, it should be faster this time around.  Then enjoy your Tiger.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger