News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

lowering a 2001

Started by REGULATOR, October 28, 2008, 01:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULATOR

I read somewhere that the concentric chain adjusters are really easy to drop a bit.

I know you can rotate the axel and it will drop, and I can lower the front..

don't want to do anything too permanent,  just know its going to be road bound for some time so I think I might lower it a bit since I'm not over 6 feet..

is there any thing else involved? Kickstand issues? chain guard etc?

Mustang

yep you need a longer bolt on the chain gaurd and a stack of washers (or a spacer) to lift the chain gaurd about an inch
Also on the disc brake bracket there is a lug that needs to be ground off so that the eccentric will swing to the other side

iansoady

Quote from: "Mustang"Also on the disc brake bracket there is a lug that needs to be ground off so that the eccentric will swing to the other side

Not on mine there wasn't..... (2004 955i).

I chopped about 25mm out of both side & centre stands and sleeved them then MIG welded them up - been OK for 3 years no. The bike lives on the centre stand in the garage.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

REGULATOR

ok so the center stand and side stand would not work if I lower it?

or its a bear to park lowerd with regular center stand?

I don't want to chop anythign up,  was just thinkign of rotateing the back and slidign the forks...  figured Id revert back in the future...

Mustang

Quote from: "REGULATOR"ok so the center stand and side stand would not work if I lower it?

or its a bear to park lowerd with regular center stand?

I don't want to chop anythign up,  was just thinkign of rotateing the back and slidign the forks...  figured Id revert back in the future...
the side stand will be fine and the centerstand also it just makes lifting the heavy pig up an xtra inch , but with a lowered bike that has a centerstand you may find that it will touch down sometimes when you get spirited !

NortonCharlie

I've got a spare short side stand (my 01 was lowered when I bought it).  Maybe $35.00 shipped in the states?  I bought a new one at Baxters open house.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

iansoady

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "REGULATOR".... the side stand will be fine ...

Mine was very near vertical when I left it the original length but if you always park on left-hand slopes I guess you could get away with it.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

Quote from: "iansoady"Mine was very near vertical when I left it the original length but if you always park on left-hand slopes I guess you could get away with it.
Just overload your sidecases and park on an incline one time the sidestand will bend to match almost perfect with the lowered rear  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :shock:

stook

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "iansoady"Mine was very near vertical when I left it the original length but if you always park on left-hand slopes I guess you could get away with it.
Just overload your sidecases and park on an incline one time the sidestand will bend to match almost perfect with the lowered rear  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :shock:

I keep reading about the sidestands being easily bent but I can't figure it out. I freqently travel with side cases overloaded (top case too, for that matter) and I always mount and dismount on the sidestand (put sidestand down, stand on peg and swing leg over). My sidestand has never shown any sign whatsoever of suffering as a result. Oh, I'm right at 200 lbs, so it's not like I'm not stressing it when I mount or dismount with all that "stuff" I sometimes have in the cases on a trip.

NortonCharlie

I think only the Steamers had a problem with the side stand.  I haven't had any problems with my 01 and I frequently overload it and step up on the left peg to swing my leg over.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando