News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tiger Owner Checking In

Started by Tom Herold, November 07, 2008, 03:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Herold

I thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm a current Sprint ST and Thunderbird rider who's picking up an 05 Tiger on the 22nd of November.  The anticipation's killing me........ but at least I have a few photos to drool over.

I didn't do too bad, she has the TOR exhaust, gel seat, panniers and top box, heated grips, RAM mount and additional powerlet, engine guards and fork mounted lights.  

It seems the Sprint and Tiger share the same bloodlines, but that's where the similarities end.  Has anyone here made the transition from a sport-touring machine to the Tiger?  If so, I'd be interested in your opinions and advice on getting aclimated.  I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam, so I should be okay with the height.

The first order of business is a touring windshield for my winter riding and I've zeroed in on the Cee Baily line.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you out on the roads!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

Stretch

Sexy!  Welcome aboard!

fano

I am 5'8" and 30" inseam and I am all right, so you should be just fine.
Nice bike.  :thumbsup

armadillo76

Very nice! Umm, you have winter in Carolina?
Can't comment on the transition from sport touring to Tiger since I have been riding a Tiger for too long (my 96 new since 98). Good luck and enjoy!
AndyB, NH, 96 Steamer.

HockleyBoy

Nice looking bike, welcome aboard.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

John Stenhouse

Lovely bike, I went from a VFR to the Tiger, apart from being more upright  and lanky feeling it was fine.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

paulie

You bought the right color!  :lol:   :twisted:

Cheers, and welcome!
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Tom Herold

Thanks all, I've been pouring through this site and the stuff over at Triumphrat trying to become as familiar with the Tiger as I am the other two Triumphs in the garage.  Loads of good stuff indeed.

I get to ride just about year-round down here in Charleston, but the Tiger's going to be my long range expedition machine. I prefer a bit of wind protection up around my head, so if I can reduce some of the buffeting and helmet noise I know I'll be happy.

Riding a Sprint, my head and shoulders are in clean air, but I get beat up pretty good when behind vehicles or in gusting winds.  Does the Cee Baily version #2 wind screen do a good job protecting the Tiger rider up around the head and shoulder area?  I was considering the 6" over stock, anyone have experience with this particular model?
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

stook

Quote from: "Tom Herold"Thanks all, I've been pouring through this site and the stuff over at Triumphrat trying to become as familiar with the Tiger as I am the other two Triumphs in the garage.  Loads of good stuff indeed.

I get to ride just about year-round down here in Charleston, but the Tiger's going to be my long range expedition machine. I prefer a bit of wind protection up around my head, so if I can reduce some of the buffeting and helmet noise I know I'll be happy.

Riding a Sprint, my head and shoulders are in clean air, but I get beat up pretty good when behind vehicles or in gusting winds.  Does the Cee Baily version #2 wind screen do a good job protecting the Tiger rider up around the head and shoulder area?  I was considering the 6" over stock, anyone have experience with this particular model?

Can't comment on the #2 CB, but I got the Cee Bailey #1 Windshield, Light Gray Tint, +4in Taller, +6in Wider. It did an excellent job most of the time, but I was still getting a fair amount of bug splatter on my face shield. So, I mounted a Touratech Windscreen Spoiler "Universal with Lock Part Number: 040-1392" on top of the CB. That seems to push 95% of the wind and about 90% of the bugs up and over my helmet. I still get splatted on the top of my helmet by the large juicy bugs, but the rest get a free elevator ride up and over and my face shield seldom takes a bug hit of any size.

I like the spoiler because it isn't all that wide and when everything gets blanked out by road grime, I can still look over or around it. If the screen itself were much taller, that could be an issue. One other comment I can make is that I read lots of complaints about "buffeting" on the Tiger and I really don't know for sure what those reports are describing. I don't experience anything with this setup that I would call buffeting, but YMMV of course.

Tom Herold

Thanks Stook, I found the spoiler you referred to and think it's a winner.  As soon as I get my hands on the beast, we'll be making a run home of about 5 hours, a pretty good shake down and getting aquianted run.  I'm sure I'll have a better understanding of the buffeting and general wind blast issues associated with this kind of bike after that.

On the Sprint, I have an MRA touring windscreen, it puts the clean air around my shoulders and higher. I'm looking to move it as close to over my head as possible on the Tiger. I like the idea of the spoiler a lot and will figure out the rest. Now if the 22nd would just hurry up and get here......

Thanks again!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

Gen. George S. Patton

zombie

I have the touring cee baileys but I prefer the stock windshield
I came from a R1 to the tiger and my tiger does everything I want it to do and does it well .
the tiger will work fine for you  and is a great long distance hauler

adrian jones

Congrats on the great new ride.

'05 BRG Tiger here.  Moved from a highly "juiced" '02 Speed Triple, and can't be happier.

Loved the triple hell of a muscle bike ( raw power blaster testosterone shot every time I rode it)but it was  uncomfortable for loooooong rides and two up.

Also had a Katana 750 which sits sort of like a Sprint (same sort of  sport touring style)  no problem with the transition.

Tiger really does everything well. Feeds the need for speed and comfort, stable on road and off. You'll wish you had bought one yeas ago.

Cheers!
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

TigerTrax

I think the MRA VAio Touring probably gets the best response...
but if you are over 6'-3"  you may neet to modify the top
deflector for better protection. I'll be doing that for my scamper to Alaska in July.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Stretch

The Vario is my favorite of the seven shields I've tried.  But I'm 6'7".  Your mileage may vary.