News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical system capacity?

Started by 1speed, November 18, 2008, 03:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1speed

I would like to put a pair of off-road lights and a 12V outlet to run a GPS or a small inverter on my Tiger. How much draw can the electrical system take?
Jim
97 Tiger

JetdocX

Do you have heated grips or other clothing?  It might be a stretch to power everything.  And I don't know the rated wattage.  Mustang prolly has his original owner's manuals and will be along licktey split with the approved Triumph answer.
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

These lights draw a very small amount of power (like 16 watts) and light up the road ahead like Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I mounted a set to a pal's Dakar.  One spot, one flood.  So light I mounted them right to the plastic.  The power requirement was so low I didn't bother with a relay.

They are 'spensive though.   :cry:

From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"And I don't know the rated wattage.  Mustang prolly has his original owner's manuals and will be along licktey split with the approved Triumph answer.
I have no Idea what the wattage output of the steamer alternators are ......but I do know that they are only 25 amp max output so heated gloves and gear is starting to load the ol girl down .

as an example the alt. in my mustang has 140 amp output compared to tigger .

if you run some bright lights and heated gear and gps and etc etc , you will be taxing the ol girl heavily . and a battery tender will be the norm .

1speed

No grips, no vest, (South Florida) just want to run GPS and lights on the road and an inverter or small compressor when stopped. The 25 amp number gives me something to work with, thanks.

edit: I already have the battery tender, sounds like these things need them anyway. Anyone rewrapping the alternators for more juice?
Jim
97 Tiger

armadillo76

What are the lights? I saw some ones with multiple LEDs that light up but draw less but they were near $300 I think.
I would add a voltmeter to your Tigger too. I used to run PIAA 80/80 bulbs and riding through NoCal in the early AM I had to make a choice. Stay warm (Widder vest) or run the high beams. I stayed warm. I was also running GPS and had heated grips (not sure I was running them or not).
For an "adventure/tourer" the Steamers didn't have a powerful enough output. Not sure if any of the Triumphs of that era were any better.
Good luck, AndyB, NH.
And you don't have to worry about sub 30F temps sucking the battery down either!

JetdocX

The lights I mounted were HID lights.  Steer clear of LEDs.  The technology is not there yet.  

I forget the source, but I'll email and find out.
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Watts = Volts x Amps

So...

25 amps at 12 volts = 300 watts

25 amps at 13 volts = 325 watts

25 amps at 14 volts = 350 watts.

JetdocX

I would use 300 watts as the hard number not to exceed.  Even at higher revs there is still some of the alternator output required to excite the field.  Then let's discuss losses due to VR heat issues.

Use 300 and stay below that number.  If you find someone to re-wind your field, then please tell us who and how.  I'd like more electrons for personal use, too.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

I knew it sucked but that is bad ...........you are using 110 watts already just having low beams on  :shock:

armadillo76

Quote from: "JetdocX"The lights I mounted were HID lights.  Steer clear of LEDs.  The technology is not there yet.  

I forget the source, but I'll email and find out.

They look like these:
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?pr ... 608&page=1
and there's another smaller HID too. I thought the price wasn't bad until I saw it was for ONE light! I wouldn't mind an aux light to help out the low beam pattern.
AndyB, NH.

offtheback

I have an HID helmet light for mountainbiking and it was very spendy..  They do not give those things away but they are worth every penny..
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break

Bob Tosi

So if you have some lights that put out 55W at 12V thats 4.6 amps.  So look at what the system is outputting and see if it has enough extra to run these lights???? Sound right?

I found some lights at an autoparts store that are for cars but are nice and small so they could fit on the bike nicely.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

MtheTiger

QuoteI knew it sucked but that is bad ...........you are using 110 watts already just having low beams on   :shock:  

If you perform the LED conversion then normal operation requires:

Headlights          2x55W
Indicators           4x4 W
rear/brake          1x5 W
idiot lights           app. 2W total

So this leaves you with app. 133W and with enough room to spare for gadgets & farkles.

check out the sticky LED conversion & the "Idiot lights" post.

just my 2cts
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Bob Tosi

QuoteIf you perform the LED conversion then normal operation requires:

Headlights 2x55W
Indicators 4x4 W
rear/brake 1x5 W
idiot lights app. 2W total

So this leaves you with app. 133W and with enough room to spare for gadgets & farkles.

check out the sticky LED conversion & the "Idiot lights" post.

If thisis all correct, then installing a set of lights that uses 55W will work?

This would leave me with 78W as extra.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"