News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

heated grips

Started by abruzzi, November 22, 2008, 02:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Anyone have a preference for heated grips that work well on a steamer?  Prefer easy install 'cause I suck at this stuff.

Geof

REGULATOR

Ive used the dual star under the grips you have models,  not too hard to install, and very flexible as far as placement of the switch and such

not on a steamer, but on my rocket, and on my sprint before...

aeronca

im not sure what brand i have(came with the bike), but they look like the cheaper one's offered in the aerostitch catalog. they work really well.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

armadillo76

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_ ... ts_id=5252
I'm replacing my worn out Trophy heated grips on my 96 Tiger. They (whitehorse) also recommend a heat troller as the stock control draws full power at all positions. Not helpful to a Tiger battery.
I don't have them yet but hopefully they'll do the trick.
AndyB, NH.

Dr. Mordo

Has anybody tried these?

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit2.htm

They were recommended in the onther hot grips thread, and they looked pretty good to me.  Why would they not be a good idea?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

I had a pair on my f650.  Not impressed.  They burned up and the hot spots melted my grips.  Cheaply made crap, IMO.
From parts unknown.

armadillo76

Quote from: "JetdocX"I had a pair on my f650.  Not impressed.  They burned up and the hot spots melted my grips.  Cheaply made crap, IMO.

If you're talking about the dual star/aerostich elements under your grip set, I have heard much the same thing. Also, proper heated grips should have the rubber made to specifications to allow it to heat up. Standard unheated grips don't have to so they may react poorly to heat.
AndyB, 96.

JetdocX

Yup.  Those ones.  Those Oxford ones look bomber, though. :D
From parts unknown.

REGULATOR

I have used Oxford model with the thrermostat,  I purchased them in the UK.  and the dual star ones as well, and never had a problem with them under Oury dirt bike grips on my sprint, or my Triumph Rocket Grips..

only problem Ive ever had with the oxford ones is when I accidently left them on ( wired direct to battery is not a good idea)

the thermostat portion melted and got AFU.

abruzzi

it there anything good in the wiring harness to hook to, or do you run to the battery?

Geof

JetdocX

Mine are hooked to switched power, but they are the stock grips.  Why couldn't you do the same provided the right info, right?

I have a freakin' fuse tie wrapped to the instrument panel subframe powering the grips. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Hardly an OEM clean install, but mine are probably aftermarket like yours.
From parts unknown.

Kiwi Tiger

There is a spare plug inside the cockpit.  :D  I fitted my Oxford grips power source from here, it works off the key so you wont have to worry about a flat battery.   :oops:

I had to cut off the ends of the wires.  I  went down and bought some "pins" to fit into the plug.

If the bike idles for a while the controller switches off the grips, so I switch them on when i'm ready to ride.  I think it knows the grips are drawing more power than is being produced on the idle, so it switches them off.

I think back over 30 odd years of frozen fingers and numb hands, I should have fitted these grips years ago.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

REGULATOR

oh and whatever you choose , wire to a power source that shuts off with ignition...

even if your attentive, a slight bump of the switch and youll come out to a dead battery someday

offtheback

What about the triumph ones that are supposed to plug right into the extra socket?  I am thinking about those for myself..
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break

Mustang

Andy B has the triumph ones on his red steamer and although they have given up this year on him they are over 10 years old and served him well ! :D