News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Would not idle!

Started by Tigercat, December 06, 2008, 09:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigercat

Yesterday after work started my 06 Tiger (44K miles), let her warm up while I finished gearing up.  Pulled in the clutch and she quit.  Restarted easily but would not idle.  If I kept RPM above 1500 or so she would run.  Accelerated normally  but would die as soon as the throttle returned to idle.  Rode home, luckily 35 miles of freeway.  I stoped at the Post Office and shut down.  Ten minutes later she restated and idled normally.  Was normal the rest of the way home and is still working fine today.

Anyone had a similar occurence or know of a likely cause?  Any ideas would be helpful.  
 :icon_scratch  
Cheers, Gary

The Kurgan

It could be your Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). I hear that these units can give up the ghost, OR, require a good cleaning. I bought a spare one off a wrecker just in case mine goes while out on the highway, far from home.

The unit is located under the airbox and is attached by two screws. Check the white plastic valve to see if its clogged up with grunge. Easy to disassemble and clean.

Just a thought.

Cheers.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

walker

my 2000 did that the other day. Once I turned the ignition off, and then back on - everything was fine. It was almost as if the bike thought the throttle at rest was a few mm open. Had to keep a thumb and finger on the throttle, use the brake with the other 3 fingers to get home before I figured it out.

hasn't done it since then. Might have had the throttle part open when I turned the key (I use my left hand to turn the ignition on and off - hand on the brake). I might have had the throttle cracked when I did that.

John Stenhouse

Sounds like a TPS, throttle position sensor fault.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting