News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone had a leak here?

Started by Brock, May 14, 2004, 09:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock

After studying it for a while, I've confirmed that my '01 Tigger has an oil leak. It had me confused, 'cos it was coming from behind the plastic cover that covers the gearbox output sprocket. At first I thought it may be a result of an over-oiled chain, although everything else seemed normal (minimal fly-off on the rear wheel rim). The giveaway is the colour of the oil, as it's "engine oil" colour and if I wipe away the oil at the back of the sprocket and wait ages, I can actually see it starting to form and leech down the crackcase, from the area where the output shaft leaves the crankcase through the bearing. It's not excessive...a drop or so each night. But it's irritating. Anyone else had one? I've got a feeling it aint going to be simple or cheap to rectify.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

NortonCharlie

Actually quite a number of 01 and 02 models have had leaks on the output shaft seal.  My 01 doesn't luckily.  It is supposed to be a fairly simple fix.  Pull the cover and sprocket use a hook to pull the old seal and put in a new one.  It sounds easy but I havn't done one myself.  In fact if you go by the manual you have to tear the motor half apart to get he seal out. The hook sounds way easier, of course you will utterly destroy the old seal.

Hopefully someone who has been through it will post.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

blacktiger

My 02 left exactly 1 drop of oil on the garage floor every time I rode it.

Had the countershaft  seal replaced at the 6000 mile maintance under warrenty.  Haven't been able to tell if its fixed yet.

BMSBIKE
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Brock

Thanks lads...dropped into my local Triumph dealer today, and they've sorted several bikes with the same problem. They reckon it's less than an hours' work, and the price of the seal. Being a non-captive seal as stated above, it's not a problem to replace. PHEW!
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein