News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

high performance?

Started by abruzzi, December 20, 2008, 09:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armadillo76

I think the ebay guy I got the Sprint motor from was "mikesneatstuff"
I think this link to his store will work. Basically I just put searches in eBay for motors I thought would fit and this one turned out good. A couple other Tiger motors from Baxter's and somewhere else were close to the $2K range.
I am happy with the Sprint motor in my 96 Tiger except it makes me want to go faster and my fuel mileage isn't as good. Small prices to pay;-)
AndyB, NH.

abruzzi

If you want a real challenge there is a 1050 speed triple motor on thespeedtriple.com.  Off of a crashed demo bike, so low miles, with ECU: $1500.  132hp.  That would almost be worth the difficulty.

Geof

93TigerBill

May not be a silly suggestion...

With the US > Oz exchange rate being in US's favour at present, try Eurobrit and 'Liverpool Bike Wreckers' in Australia.
Both have an internet presence.

Happy & Safe New Year,
Bill
Bill  IBA# 45911
Newcastle, Australia
\'93 Tiger Caspian Blue
130,000 km & counting!

aeronca

brother jd, just suggestion, give this thread look if you havent already. might be a good parts doner   http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417790

good luck :)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

Aeronca, thanks!  PM sent.
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Update:  Baxter has a head from a Trophy, disassembled it and gave it a look over resealed the guides and reassembled.  They want a grand for it... :?

Should I try to get the cams with it?  Anyone?  It shows the Trophy making something like 96HP but it's at 9K RPM, so that's fun speed but not terribly useful.

What about the Trophy cams with the 5 degree timing advance plate?

Still looking fuitlessly for a speed triple head or engine to drop in....  :cry:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Find out what year trophy it's from , find out what the shim sizes were that were in it last , the cams are the same if they are the "green ones"
and to get the 96hp you will need the ecu or igniter as triumph calls it

For a grand $$$$ I would want to see the shim sizes be in the 2.7 range or bigger .

There was a beautiful blue 95 steamer on ebay the other day in arizona that ended and no one bid on it
only 19 k for miles and the buy it now was 2500
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-Tiger-Tiger-95-Triumph-Tiger_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50038QQihZ006QQitemZ160307870697QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
maybe you should try getting ahold of him he had it listed twice already and no takers was 3800 origiinally

abruzzi

Quote from: "Mustang"There was a beautiful blue 95 steamer on ebay the other day in arizona that ended and no one bid on it
only 19 k for miles and the buy it now was 2500
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-Tiger-Tiger-95-Triumph-Tiger_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50038QQihZ006QQitemZ160307870697QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
maybe you should try getting ahold of him he had it listed twice already and no takers was 3800 origiinally

He's tried to sell it on advrider as well.  He's had it for sale for over a year, so may be willing to deal.

Geof

JetdocX

Unfortunately I don't want another Steamer. :?

Anyone used this guy for head work?
http://www.metricmotorcycles.com/HeadWork.asp

I talked to him on the phone and it sounds like I can probably have my head repaired for a bit less than buying that used unknown condition head from Baxter.  He says the valve seats have probably case hardened and are now incompatible with the valves (hence the recession).  The seats can be replaced and the problem will go away.  Does this sound like throwing good money after bad?  I will have to keep it forever if I do this. :roll:

He says he's done many of these T3 heads.  Thanks, Triumph! :evil:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

I just pulled the head off.  It goes to FedEx in the AM then down to Houston so Andy can work his magic, hopefully the thing is economically repairable.

I think I'm going to ask him to shave a tiny bit off the head to raise the compression ratio, and maybe knock some of the casting marks off the intake and exhaust ports.  I'll defer to his expertice there, though.

I'm also thinking over having the header pipes and exhaust JetHot coated or something similar.

I used the shim tool to open a couple of the intake valves and it looks like the recession is indeed happening to the valves because it looks like they are taking on the slight curve like the last valves where they seat.

Guess I might as well check for a broken alternator drive bolt while I'm at it. :roll:

Old valve shot for reference:

The Tiger in it's winter clothing  :roll:

Oh and some good news...the Uni pod filters I put on the airbox snorkles have kept the stock filter from clogging, and I've ridden a lot of dusty roads since I installed those pods.  

So consider the pod filters a cheap upgrade that might actually help your stock filter make it to the 24,000 mile stated service interval. :D
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

Dude, I hope this works out for you.  I guess it could be worse; it could have happened in the spring.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mustang

when you had the valve job done awhile ago , did the person who did it cut new seats or did they just throw the new intakes into the old head without doing any seat work ?
And are you sure you want to make the poor old sprag clutch work harder against a higher compression motor ?

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mustang"when you had the valve job done awhile ago , did the person who did it cut new seats or did they just throw the new intakes into the old head without doing any seat work ?
And are you sure you want to make the poor old sprag clutch work harder against a higher compression motor ?

I don't know what was done with the seats last year. :evil:   I figure this guy will do it right.  

I'm not talking about bumping the compression up significantly.  I'm more interested in having some fresh metal in contact with the head gasket.  

I think the timing advance would put more stress on the starter/sprag than a minor compression bump, but who knows?

I has started raining now so the urge to ride is waning and the urge to farkle has re-emerged.  This will probably get expensive....stay tuned. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

For that matter, if you haven't done the sprag I'd be tempted to change it preemptively while I had the engine out.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

The engine is still in.  Any idea what a failing sprag sounds like?  I'm going to pull the alternator tonight to check the drive for DAR.  If I need to pull the clutch pack out and go though all that for the alternator drive, I'll pull the engine and split the cases and replace the sprag preventatively.
From parts unknown.