News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

high performance?

Started by abruzzi, December 20, 2008, 09:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

whirr from the starter motor and klack klack klack from the sprag , while the engine no spin

Dr. Mordo

If it isn't bad it'll still trun over and start but will clack occasionally as the sprag slips.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

abruzzi

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"If it isn't bad it'll still trun over and start but will clack occasionally as the sprag slips.

Is that the occasional random ticking I hear when I'm riding?  Usually when I hit a bump.  Would that mean it's on its way out, or is that the usual sound?

Geof

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"I'm going to pull the alternator tonight to check the drive for DAR.  .
98's have the upgraded design on the alternator drive already and usually it's only the bolt on the alternator vane drive that breaks .
QuoteIf I need to pull the clutch pack out and go though all that for the alternator drive, I'll pull the engine and split the cases and replace the sprag preventatively
I bet you don't when you see what a new one costs !

Quote from: "abruzzi"Is that the occasional random ticking I hear when I'm riding? Usually when I hit a bump. Would that mean it's on its way out, or is that the usual sound?

Geof
the sprag won't make any noise unless you are pushing the starter button , but then again who knows it's a Triumph
 :ImaPoser

JetdocX

Thanks, Mustang.  First good news of the day! :D
From parts unknown.

abruzzi

Quote from: "Mustang"the sprag won't make any noise unless you are pushing the starter button , but then again who knows it's a Triumph
 :ImaPoser

Maybe it's the drive chain then.  Starting sounds perfectly normal.  OT, but the maual saus to replace the front chain guide when it's worn, but doesn't say how to tell when it's worn.  Any thoughts, or should I change it just cause it 13 years old?

Geof

Mustang

Quote from: "abruzzi"Maybe it's the drive chain then.  Starting sounds perfectly normal.  OT, but the maual saus to replace the front chain guide when it's worn, but doesn't say how to tell when it's worn.  Any thoughts, or should I change it just cause it 13 years old?

Geof
It's time to replace it , do the lower  rub block too at the same time

JetdocX

www.triumphparts.gbr.cc

Sprint Manufacturing in the old country has Speed Triple cams for 120 Brittish Pounds.  

Anyone around here done this before?????? :?
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"www.triumphparts.gbr.cc

Sprint Manufacturing in the old country has Speed Triple cams for 120 Brittish Pounds.  

I haven't done it personally but I can tell you thet you will need the igniter / ECU from a speed triple also to take full advantage of the cams .
new igniters are $739 , plus 300 for the cams ,maybe you should just buy a used 955i tiger
and you will lose some of the tigers lovely torque curve

JetdocX

I don't care for the Girlies.  Plain as that.  I'll probably just put the Tiger back as-is with the fresh head and ride it, and be happy again. :D

There was a Speed Triple igniter on craigslist for $300 a few months back.  I posted it in the parts for sale section and someone here removed the link, I think.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"I don't care for the Girlies.  Plain as that.  .

I can relate to that ...........Steamers are purty !

Stretch

Quote from: "JetdocX"I don't care for the Girlies.  Plain as that.

You have to admit, you left yourself wide open for this.  

JetdocX

This one's going sideways quickly. :roll:

If I were an admin, that would be your avatar. :P
From parts unknown.

abruzzi

Quote from: "JetdocX"www.triumphparts.gbr.cc

Also, now is a good time to buy british stuff cause the pound is in the crapper.  According to google this morning:

1 British pound = 1.3764 U.S. dollars

That is lower than I've seen it in ten years.  A year ago it was $2 for a pound.  And it's not a strong dollar, because the Euro is at the same place it was a year ago, $1.30 per euro.

Geof