News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

motor question

Started by zombie, December 22, 2008, 02:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie

I've been offered a low mileage 2002 Daytona motor ,3 thousand miles with all the
electronics except for the injectors and want to know if that will work
for my tiger and if it is just a question of plugging in and done
cheers

The Kurgan

Zombie;

From the research I have done, the heads on the Daytona motor are different, and thus, the upper frame mounting points are different. Therefore, the effort to shoe horn the Daytona motor into the Tiger frame may be a formidable challenge.

I could be wrong.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

abruzzi

there was a 955i tiger with a daytona motor on ebay about a year and a half ago, so it is doable, I just don't know how doable.

Your shift pattern will be flipped though (1up - 6down)

I'd take it, buecause even if it didn't work, it'd make a killer go-kart.

Geof

EvilBetty

Yes, but don't be this guy...
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

The Kurgan

While there may be considerable effort to shoe horn a Daytona triple into a Tiger frame... the Daytona 955i cams are a DIRECT plug 'n play upgrade. That and a re-tune should net at least 10 extra horsepower. I have heard that you should, at the very least, upgrade the valve springs to heavier duty springs if swapping for the longer duration, higher lift Daytona cams. I would bet that would be a less costly and more doable option that would net more than enough power. The Tiger frame, suspension, geometry, etc... is simply not built to handle peaky 147 ponies.  8)  Besides, if you add the Daytona motor, you would also need to add the Daytona wiring harness, airbox and god knows what else. It would be a complicated matter.

As Abruzzi notes, I'd still buy that Daytona motor for safe keepings! How many triples produce 147 hp stock? NONE. That motor will still be "current" for many years to come! While I wouldn't put it in a go-cart, I would use it for a future Daytona 955i motorcycle that would likely be very affordable in to 3-5 years!  :lol:
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

zombie

Thanks for the replies fellas
I passed on the deal as I couldn't get an answer on the supposed mileage and as it wouldn't drop straight in I wasn't bothered

Stretch

Having trouble with yours?

zombie

hey stretch
Naw mine's fine but cheap horsepower always grabs my attention
I just finished going thru the bike front to rear.
All new suspenders and re-worked the front end
all new steering head bearings and wheel bearings all around
New binders front and rear
chain sprockets
Valves and air filter
even put in new spacers for the swingarm
all thats left is to check the CO , set the throttle bodies and re-install the triumph tune and I'm ready for my next long adventure

Stretch

Gotcha.  Sounds ballsy.

Merry Christmas!

Advwannabe

One of these days when I get my Daytona and Tiger in the same city I'll pull tanks off, get photos and get us a definitive answer on this one.

One good thing about the Daytona motor is that it is full of forged internals. Great for quality and if you are trying to extract serious horses. Mine has 60k miles, makes less internal racket than the Tigger at 35k and uses no oil. Tigger uses a half a quart/3.5k miles.

The daytona motor doesn't quite have the same torque below 5000 rpm and first is quite tall. beyond that, I reckon it would make a great transplant into kitty 8)
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180