News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bonneville Speed Week on Discovery

Started by Mustang, January 06, 2009, 12:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Tonite at 10 pm est Discovery Channel is having Bonneville Speed Week .
This coming year it will be the last few days of August and my buddy and I are riding out and picking up my little bro in cheyenne on the way .
I wonder  if I can talk him into getting his Bonneville salty , hmmmm? :ImaPoser

Stretch

I'll watch it, thanks for the tip.

Years ago in my truck-driving days, I had the opportunity to fly up to Akron, Ohio and bring back a truck modified by Tim Arfons.  The truck was a dumptruck chassis with a small jet engine on the back, used to force-dry roads in order to get paving crews back to work after a rain shower.

http://turbinegroup.com/

Tim Arfons is the son of famed Bonneville speed-demon Art Arfons, and their last "Green Monster" Bonneville jet car was there in the shop...

http://www.thrustssc.com/thrustssc/Club ... Stand.html

I didn't climb in it (I couldn't have fit anyway), but I crawled all over and under that thing.  I have photos, but they're not digital, and I don't have a scanner.

JetdocX

Mustang, that's only six long and boring hours from me!!!!!!!!!  

I did some work last winter and spring on Fossett's jet car for Team 800 integrating the F-4 engine with the car (airframe).  I think that project has died along with the man. :cry:

Thrust SSC is at it again.  I think it's a hybrid this time.  Typically British, a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine running the pump for a liquid rocket engine.  Why not just build a boat with wheels?  Oh wait.... :roll:
From parts unknown.

Stretch

F-4... living proof that if you put a big enough engine on it, anything can fly supersonic.

Phantoms were badass, though.

Mustang

It's not really Speed Week we are going out for , that is the first part of the month of August . We are going out for the BUB Motorcycle time trials which is Aug. 30th to Sept 3rd .
It will be fun I'm sure .

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Stretch"F-4... living proof that if you put a big enough engine on it, anything can fly supersonic.

Phantoms were badass, though.

You might know we had F4s too, only we put uprated Rolls Royce engines in them (we Brits just can't resist tinkering).  Awesome airplane though, pity I only got to work on them once.  My local base still has one as a gate gardian (all RAF stations have a static aircraft at the main gate).  Watched a Discovery prog about Maj Gen Olds - renowned fighter pilot from 'Nam - the other night.  Theme was a famous air battle where his strategy was to closely group F4s to look like B52s on the VC radar.  Worked like a dream, swarms of MIGs came up to get creamed by the F4s with no US losses.  Discovery managed some awesome computer graphic simulations to demonstrate tactics too.  All in all, a nice way to spend an hour and drink beer.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...