News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fairing stickers

Started by EvilBetty, February 12, 2009, 11:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Do the "eyelash" stickers peel off the older style fairings or are the clear coated over?

Also are there any other differences between a 05 and a 02 fairing?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Mustang

I may be wrong but I think they are clearcoated ,

514Advrider

I was wondering the same thing.. I just made a deposit on an '03 model, but it's 500 km away (I live in Montreal, bike is in Toronto) and I haven't seen the Tiger in person yet. I find the eyebrow stickers really fugly and would like to get rid of them as soon as possible.

DaJudge

Quote from: "514Advrider"I was wondering the same thing.. I just made a deposit on an '03 model, but it's 500 km away (I live in Montreal, bike is in Toronto) and I haven't seen the Tiger in person yet. I find the eyebrow stickers really fugly and would like to get rid of them as soon as possible.

I can't see mine when I'm riding...... :5moped

Looks to me like they're clearcoated.

EvilBetty

Yeah that's the 3rd confirmation I have had of such.

I know it stupid it bugs me.  If it was an 2003 it wouldn't.  But that this is a 2005 that didn't have them, and that the stripes on the tank are gradient, I don't think I can live with them on the fairing.  I'm seriously considering having the clear coat taken down to remove the stickers and having the clear resprayed.

EvilBetty

I've seen someone post it but I can't find it.

Anyone successfully removed the stickers from their fairing?

sanjoh

Has cabin fever set in?
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

EvilBetty

Major.  And having what I thought was the hard parts of the maintenance completed, I'm looking at now having to buy a new fairing, retail.  I've only seen 4 come up for sale since November.  Two were damaged and the other two are both from older / bikes with the stickers on them.

We've had several ride worthy days as of late and having my bike still in pieces (that I've maybe put 150 miles on since I bought it) is killing me!

sanjoh

01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

EvilBetty

Dang it, I was excited!  But mine is Lucifer Orange.

If anyone is wanting a Lucifer orange fairing with the eyebrows, there is one on eBay that the seller will take $250 for.

sanjoh

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Dang it, I was excited!  But mine is Lucifer Orange.

And I thought all Tigers were black :wink:

Good luck! A six pack might be cheaper to help you forget about the graphics.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

EvilBetty

I'm not sure I want to mix a 6 pack and this bike together.  Maybe that's how the fairing got cracked in the first place? :lol:  Black is the color I wanted, but around here when you see a tiger for sale for a decent price, you buy it no matter what color or configuration!  The orange has grown on me.  Plus I don't think I blend in to well with city traffic :)

Strangely enough I like the silver fairing stickers on the black bike.  It's just something about having the black stickers with the gradient stickers on the Lucifer orange tank that bugs me.

514Advrider

If I understand correctly, you are putting an '03 fairing on your '05 Girly?

That means that the '03 fairing have the decals clearcoated?

If it's the case, in the long run I'm gonna have to get a painter to strip the decals off and respray the clear.

EvilBetty

Everyone I have talked to says the stripes on the faring are applied under the clear coat.

Every painter I have talked to said taking down the clear coat on this fairing to remove the stickers would be about impossible without repainting the base coat.

Repainting a fairing (at least with the Lucifer Orange if done properly) cost more than a new fairing.

Enough of the Standox TRIUMPH-ED paint to lay down proper test sprays (3-stage paint.  Base - $65pt, Metallic Pearl - $79pt, and Clear) along with the sealer and other materials was going to cost $450.00.  That's not including labor.  Even if you found someone experienced enough to do it with a pint of each color it would still be about $150 just for the base and pearl.

A new fairing from Triumph is about $400.00

John Stenhouse

Try to find a body shop with it's own mixing scheme, the larger ones don't buy in paint, they mix it themselves from tints, to a fixed recipe.

They shouldn't charge you full pint prices for the paint then, that might make a difference. It may have to be a bike body shop as bikes are painted differently from cars, often they paint a white base coat and several coats of tint til they get to the right colour.

Not sure if that's any help
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting