News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Adjustment

Started by Tigger_rider, February 15, 2009, 12:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigger_rider

Posted a scan of the 2006 shop manual chain adjustment section at www.olsenantiques.com. Hit pictures and look in the Tiger scan folder.  OLY

Stretch

Quote from: "Tigger_rider"CHAIN ADJUSTMENT

Posted a scan of the 2006 shop manual chain adjustment section at www.olsenantiques.com. Hit pictures and look in the Tiger scan folder.  OLY

Although the procedure in the manual is correct, experience has shown that the slack adjustment of 35-40mm is way too tight, especially when riding two-up on rough roads, as the chain tightens when the suspension is compressed.  A more realistic chain adjustment would be in the neighborhood of 60-70mm.

Tigers hate hate hate tight chains.

Tigger_rider

Agreed. I usually run mine fairly loose and always have my fat friend sit on it during adjustment.   There was a request on one of the groups for the manual pages and in my off list reply I mentioned compressing the rear and running loose. OLY

kpmunt

What size allen wrench is needed to do this on an 01?

Mustang

Quote from: "kpmunt"What size allen wrench is needed to do this on an 01?
8mm to loosen the pinch bolts and 12 mm to fit the eccentric adjuster.

flux

I had some chain problems this weekend.... was making a helluva racket in first and second gear at low RPM's, most noticeable when I would first get going.  

I got back to the motel room and pulled the CS cover off... it was caked FULL of a weird chain lube/ GA red clay cocktail.  Had to scrape it out.  My advice is if you ride offroad, make sure you are taking that cover off every so often and checking it.  I intend to dremel out some slots in mine to allow the grime to escape.    

I adjusted the chain 3 times that day trying to get the noise to stop, and tried a full range of adjustment from loose to tight.  Nothing worked.

I reckon its time for new chain and sprockets.

I even freaked myself out... I noticed the rear wheel and CS sprocket had nearly an inch of play in it when the bike was in gear.  Called up Fullmonte and he confirmed his bike has this play as well, so I feel better about that.  i was sure something was wrong though.   :roll:

Anyways, all this to say I think my 02's chain adjuster is the easiest thing ever to use.  No idea why Triumph changed it in later models.  I wish my KTM was so easy.

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "Tigger_rider"Posted a scan of the 2006 shop manual chain adjustment section at www.olsenantiques.com. Hit pictures and look in the Tiger scan folder.  OLY
linky no worky
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

WVdyhrd

thanks, yea i found it in there myself from u sending me that earlier :D
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

Goodwinsplace

Just had a new chain and sprocket kit fitted, how often do the Girlies typically need the chain adjusting?
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

PeteH

Keep the chain slack and lubed and it should be like never :wink:  just put a bit more pre load on the rear spring :)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

iansoady

Quote from: "PeteH"Keep the chain slack and lubed and it should be like never

Agreed. I think I've done mine twice in 18,000 miles - and they weren't really necessary, I just thought I should do something.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

metalguru

Quote from: "Goodwinsplace"Just had a new chain and sprocket kit fitted, how often do the Girlies typically need the chain adjusting?

9000 miles on C+S no adjustment needed. DID gold Xring and Weldtite TF2 Teflon lube every 150 odd miles, not ridden quietly.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.