News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Racetech emulators and forkspring question for 2005 Tiger

Started by cad184, February 01, 2009, 09:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cad184

Hi,

after reading some threads about suspension improvements in this forum I am thinking about installing race tech cartridge emulators into my 2005 Tiger 955.

I have the following questions:

What Oil does racetech recommend: 7,5 or 10 or even 15 ?

How much Oil should be filled in a 2005 Tiger, what is the best oil level with the emulators. (My bodyweight is around 215 lbs.)

The 2005 Tigers have shorter forksprings than the older models. Will the springs on the racetech homepage fit into a 2005 tiger?

Where shouldI buy the emulators and the springs?

Kind Regards!

Alex

PS: My English is not so good. Sorry for that but I come from Austria.
cad184 is offline      Reply With Quote

Bixxer Bob

Can't answer the tech questions,  they're best left to our USA friends.  They come along later than us owing to the 5hrs+ gap.   You a night worker tho?  post shows 2am....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

REGULATOR

I wil be following along,  at 240 I'm compressign my forks and rear shocks pretty bad...

Bruincounselor

I sent my forks to Racetech - they had never done an 885i before so they said they needed them in hand to make suggestions. At 230 pounds myself I can feel your pain at the softness of the front end.

Because the emulator takes space in the tube (effectivley adding preload) they used the stock srpings with 15mm of preload.

for oil it says Ultra Slick US - 2 (10w)
Level - 130 mm

Emulator spring was #64 and preload was 4 turns out. Keep in mind that this is adjustable - but inside the fork so it's a set it and forget it deal on the road.

They rebuilt the forks with new seals, sliders, etc. while they had them. I don't recall the price.

I am very happy with the changes and have several years of riding on it so am due for a change of fluid.

You can get everything you need directly from Racetech at thier website.
Bruin\'

cad184

Hello,

it seems, that nobody can really help me with my question? Where are the guys, who already put in the racetech emulators into their 2005 or 2006 tigers? I would be glad if somebody could help me.

Kind regards!

Alex

Stretch

Sorry, Bro.  Maybe nobody with an '05-06 has made the mods you're talking about.  Be patient, someone may come along...

Kiwi Tiger

No mods to mine yet.  Try the site direct.
http://www.race-tech.com/.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

Bruincounselor

I believe the only difference between yours and mine are the spring rates. The tubes are 43mm, the cast wheels had different trees that made the distance between each leg different (smaller?) and changed the rake/offset slightly.

I'm sure if you called Race Tech they will be able to answer your questions and sell you what you need to make the improvement.

Beware that once you fix the front you will realize how bad the rear really is.......
Bruin\'

The Kurgan

Specification changes for 2005:

The 05MY Tiger was introduced in March 2004 with:
Revised front and rear suspension, steering geometry and wheelbase
Cast wheels with tubeless tyres
Revised gear and rear brake pedals with weight relief slots
The far horizon is the Tiger's destination, any vast expanse of wilderness its home. It thrives on an all-day riding challenge and lives for the journey. Whether crossing continents, countries, commuting or simply riding for the hell of it, the Tiger is always a willing accomplice. Its lusty power delivery, surefooted composure and excellent rider comfort see to that.

And it's tauter, sharper and more usable than ever thanks to a honed, sharper chassis. The Tiger's quick steering frame geometry has rake set at 25.8°, trail at 92mm with a wheelbase of 1515mm. The front forks employ single rate springs (replacing the triple rate springs) and revised rebound damping while rear shock performance has been enhanced with an increased spring rate and revised compression and rebound damping. The cast, 14-spoke, aluminium wheels take tubeless tyres - 110/80 V19 front and 150/70 V17 rear.

The Tiger is all about usability and its motor responds readily to any challenge, giving instant, accessible drive from any road speed. A seminal fuel-injected, 955cc, three-cylinder engine, with a solid 105PS peak power output matched by a walloping 92Nm torque powers the Tiger, a motor that's the very definition of real-world drivability. Its character instantly involves the rider and its unflagging response can always be relied upon.

Total confidence, from sinuous switchback to four-lane black top, is what the Tiger exudes and the upright, comfortable riding position gives a great view of the road ahead and the scenery flashing by.

With practical touches like the large 24 litre (6.3 gallon US) fuel tank, hard cases fitted as standard* and the efficient, frame mounted fairing to keep the windblast and weather at bay the Tiger's usability factor multiplies. And, as with all Triumphs, an extensive range of accessories is available - including hard and soft luggage, heated grips and mudguard extensions. Silver frame and wheels complement the three colour options of British Racing Green, Lucifer Orange and Aluminium Silver. The seat height also adjusts through a 20mm range.

Tens of thousands of miles' experience make the Tiger a trusted travelling companion. And each comes with a guarantee of riding satisfaction, of distance covered, tales told and journeys won - and, of course, a helmet-filling grin. The world's a big place. The Tiger has its measure.

Specification

Engine Type - Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity - 955cc
Bore/Stroke - 79 x 65mm
Compression Ratio - 11.65:1
Fuel System - Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection
Ignition - Digital - inductive type - via electronic engine management system
Primary Drive - Gear
Final Drive - X ring chain
Clutch - Wet, multi-plate
Gearbox - 6-speed
Frame - Tubular steel perimeter
Swingarm - Twin-sided, aluminium alloy
Wheels - Front, Cast, 14-spoke, 19 x 2.5in, Rear - Cast, 14-spoke, 17 x 4.25in
Tyres - Front, 110/80 V 19, Rear - 150/70 V 17
Suspension - Front, 43mm forks, Rear - Monoshock with remotely adjustable preload and rebound damping
Brakes - Front - Twin 310mm discs, 2 piston calipers, Rear - Single 285mm disc, 2 piston caliper
Length - 2250mm (88.6in)
Width (Handlebars) - 860mm (33.8in)
Height - 1390mm (54.7in)
Seat Height - 840-860mm (33.1-33.8in)
Wheelbase - 1515mm (59.6in)
Rake/Trail - 25.8º/87.9mm
Weight (Dry) - 215kg (474lbs)
Fuel Tank Capacity - 24 litres (6.3 gal US) PERFORMANCE (MEASURED AT CRANKSHAFT TO DIN 70020)
Maximum Power - 105PS (104bhp) at 9,500 rpm
Maximum Torque - 92Nm (67ft.lbf) at 4,400 rpm
Colours - Lucifer Orange, British Racing Green, Aluminium Silver
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "The Kurgan"The front forks employ single rate springs (replacing the triple rate springs) and revised rebound damping ...

This confirms what I was saying. The springs are different. The rebound will be changed by the emulators.  I say the change is well worth it for street use.
Bruin\'

Cleaverid

Sasquatch would be the one to ask suspension questions to. He does fork upgrades for the tigers.  He will be installing the emulators in my bike later this season.
Cleav
Always look downstream

cad184

Hello,

i sent my question directly to racetech. I hope they can help me.
On their homepage the say that the emulators an springs fit for Tigers from 2002 to 2006. Thats new. Some weeks ago the said it will fit only until 2004.

The next problem is that I live in Europe, so I would need an European distributor or racetech sends the parts to Europe. I asked racetech for that too.

I´ll wait for the answer from racetech and post the result here.

Kind regards!

Alex