News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork springs and valve emulators

Started by Mr. Jetmoto, February 19, 2009, 05:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Jetmoto

So I would like to try to stiffen the front end of my bike up.

I did a search and found some threads that were a couple of years old talking about progressive springs and racetech valve emulators.

Are these a good way to go? Does anybody make a progressive spring for a steamer still?

I went to the racetech site, and couldn't figure out which ones would work with my bike.

JetdocX

Progressive springs are BS.  Once you sit on the bike, the progressive part is now compressed into a straight-rate spring.

And progressive springs and emulators are not compatible.

The first question is:  How much $$ would you like to blow on your ancient bike?  

Maybe first try a heavier weight fork oil.  It's cheap and relatively easy to do.  Everything after that gets expensive.
From parts unknown.

BykBoy

I don't know about the steamers, but RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators work great on my 01 cat. It took a while to install and adjust, but now that it's done, the front feels great.

I can't say the same about the progressive springs I had. I could not really tell the difference between them and the OEM.

One other solution is to add spacers at the top of the springs. From other posts, it sounds like adding about an inch of spacer will make a big difference.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "JetdocX"Progressive springs are BS.  Once you sit on the bike, the progressive part is now compressed into a straight-rate spring.

And progressive springs and emulators are not compatible.

The first question is:  How much $$ would you like to blow on your ancient bike?  

Maybe first try a heavier weight fork oil.  It's cheap and relatively easy to do.  Everything after that gets expensive.

Come on, it's not that ancient, 12 years old. Plus, it's only got 20k on it. I'd like to ride it for another 50k at least. I'm definitely willing to spend a couple hundred bucks to improve the handling a bit.

I just need some advice and some links to help me do a little shopping.

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mr. Jetmoto"Come on, it's not that ancient, 12 years old. Plus, it's only got 20k on it. I'd like to ride it for another 50k at least. I'm definitely willing to spend a couple hundred bucks to improve the handling a bit.

OK, I sent my forks out to a suspension shop to install the emulators, .9kg/mm springs and reseal.  

I also have a penske rear shock set up to my specs provided by the same shop.  

Unfortunately it cost quite a bit more than a couple hundred bucks.  After the oil change you just get into money.  

Now my suspension is worth more than the bike, but I smile everytime I go for a ride. :D
From parts unknown.

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "JetdocX"
Quote from: "Mr. Jetmoto"Come on, it's not that ancient, 12 years old. Plus, it's only got 20k on it. I'd like to ride it for another 50k at least. I'm definitely willing to spend a couple hundred bucks to improve the handling a bit.

OK, I sent my forks out to a suspension shop to install the emulators, .9kg/mm springs and reseal.  

I also have a penske rear shock set up to my specs provided by the same shop.  

Unfortunately it cost quite a bit more than a couple hundred bucks.  After the oil change you just get into money.  

Now my suspension is worth more than the bike, but I smile everytime I go for a ride. :D

I've already got a works shock on it, I just want a set of stiffer springs, and possibly emulators. The springs shouldn't be more than a hundred bucks or so right? Not sure what the emulators cost.

abruzzi

$169.95 for the emulators:

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/mer ... FEGV-S4301

Springs, I'd guess the same.  I'd like to do both to mine as well, only I have more basic requirements to deal with first (tires, wheel bearings, electronic switches, chain, sprockets, center stands.)

Geof

DesertDog

I had the triumph progressive springs in it when I bought the bike and they were worthless (marshmellow soft) even with the 3 1/2" spacer the DPO had on top of them.  Installed the emulators under the progressive spring with 1 turn tighter setting and 3/4" spacer and they are a great match to the rear that Sasquatch built for me.  I am also running synthetic ATF in the front, it is about 7.5 wt. I think.

I think the emulators  are .65k / 43mm.  Paid $145 for them.

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "abruzzi"$169.95 for the emulators:

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/mer ... FEGV-S4301

Springs, I'd guess the same.  I'd like to do both to mine as well, only I have more basic requirements to deal with first (tires, wheel bearings, electronic switches, chain, sprockets, center stands.)

Geof

Sweet, thanks man, that's just what I was looking for. Any clues as to where to find some good stiff springies? OR do would I even really benefit from stiffer springs if I installed the emulators? I am pretty much a nooby at suspension stuff, don't know much about it. I have found that it is a bit more complicated than I originally thought.

JetdocX

Match your spring rate to your weight and riding style.  .90KG/mm is a bit too stiff for me but I suffer through it anyways.  Call Racetech or better yet, Google to find a local suspension shop, they can find or make you springs.  FWIW, the springs in mine are 37 mm by 370mm but YMMV.

Emulators control the fluid flow through the fork.  Better compression and rebound damping than a simple metering pin and oriface that is in there now.  Really, IMO this is one of the best bang for the buck items you can install in your forks.

Traxxion Dynamics is the shop that did the work on mine and everytime I lose a squid-ridden sportbike on a twisty road, it makes me smile!

I paid 149.95 for the emulators but I think I got a 10% break because they were doing the install work.
From parts unknown.

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "JetdocX"Match your spring rate to your weight and riding style.  .90KG/mm is a bit too stiff for me but I suffer through it anyways.  Call Racetech or better yet, Google to find a local suspension shop, they can find or make you springs.  FWIW, the springs in mine are 37 mm by 370mm but YMMV.

Emulators control the fluid flow through the fork.  Better compression and rebound damping than a simple metering pin and oriface that is in there now.  Really, IMO this is one of the best bang for the buck items you can install in your forks.

Traxxion Dynamics is the shop that did the work on mine and everytime I lose a squid-ridden sportbike on a twisty road, it makes me smile!

I paid 149.95 for the emulators but I think I got a 10% break because they were doing the install work.

If  you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh. I tip the scales at around 265-270 pounds. So I'll prolly need something fairly stiff.

Do you know if there are options besides going the custom spring route? Does anybody sell a spring that you can just put in the fork? Seems like it may be a bit cheaper that way. I don't need to be race track tuned, I kind of just want to get away from the big cadillac feeling that you get when riding, and the kamakaze nose dive while breaking.

abruzzi

I did find this page:

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/Spring ... bikeid=495

which suggests you should be using: 1.057 kg/mm which is over twice stock (.46 kg/mm).  It suggests .97 kg/mm for me.

Now, where to buy...there are no suspension shops around there.

Geof

Mustang

Quote from: "Mr. Jetmoto"I don't need to be race track tuned, I kind of just want to get away from the big cadillac feeling that you get when riding, and the kamakaze nose dive while breaking.

that's what some heavier wt. oil like 15 wt . and some spacers for preload on top of the springs will accomplish very nicely for a lot less $$$ than springs and emulators .
I have a traxxion suspended tiger and don't like it for off road stuff because it is too stiff .

Mr. Jetmoto

Hey thanks man. Jeez I prolly should have been able to find that. I had a hard time navigating their site for some reason. That's awesome. Now I know what I need at least. Looks like you can't just go and buy a set of stiff springs off the shelf for the old steamers anymore huh?

I'm gonna call them and see what's up.

Mr. Jetmoto

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Mr. Jetmoto"I don't need to be race track tuned, I kind of just want to get away from the big cadillac feeling that you get when riding, and the kamakaze nose dive while breaking.

that's what some heavier wt. oil like 15 wt . and some spacers for preload on top of the springs will accomplish very nicely for a lot less $$$ than springs and emulators .
I have a traxxion suspended tiger and don't like it for off road stuff because it is too stiff .

AHa! I was wondering when the guru would weigh in on this subject! Now I am conflicted as for what to do. I like the idea of emulators and new springs, but I also like the idea of cheap!

I don't really ride dirt with my tiger anymore because I've got a KLR, which is way cheaper to fall over on, and way easier to find parts and plastics for. Not to mention, way easier to pick up.

My Tiger has pretty much become my touring bike, maybe I would use it for a few miles of forest service if there was a good place to go to, like a camping spot or a lake or something.

Just out of curiosity, where would I look for spacers if they are cheap, I could just try them out and see how I like them first, before spending the relatively big bucks on springs and emulators.

Can I use spacers and emulators together without buying new springs or am I missing the whole point?