News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly Check Engine Light

Started by sooner02r1, February 20, 2009, 01:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooner02r1

First off I searched for similar questions but found none, so here goes:

My 06 Girly recently had the Check Engine light come on.  It came on when the bike had been sitting for a few weeks and the battery was barely strong enough to start it.  I have ridden the bike quite a bit and the battery seems much better charged now but the light stays on.  Do you think this is battery related, or should I be worried about another sensor somewhere causing this?  And if so is there a common sensor known to go bad on these, like an o2 or something??

Thanks a lot
06 Silver Girly

Mustang

it will reset after 3 normal engine cycles
IE go for a ride get to operating temp return home . do it three times and it should reset  the light .

JetdocX

If you have ridden it three times or more since and the light is still on, you have a hard fault stored in your engine management system.  There are off the shelf codereaders for your bike, but it might be just as easy to let the dealer read them for you.
From parts unknown.

sooner02r1

Great.  Thanks guys.  It's only been run twice since then so I'll ride it tomorrow and see what happens.
06 Silver Girly

flux

I had to bump start my Girly a few months ago and had the same issue.  They are right, after 3 heat cycles it shut off.   8)

sooner02r1

Just did the 3rd heat cycle today and it went off.  Thanks a lot guys.
06 Silver Girly

FrostedFlake

One more question on this subject - should the bike run normally while going through the heat cycles if the cause of the code was just a drained battery?  I accidentlally let mine run down, charged it up, took off for a ride and it started stuttering like it a fuel problem.  Took it back home and let it cool completely, went back out and again, same thing.  Actually died at a couple of red lights.  Back home, did a couple of cycles in the garage, more sputtering.  Sounds to me like something is up besides a dead battery.  Maybe some bad gas?  Am I in the "limp mode"?  Oh, I'm 350 miles from the nearest dealer!

HockleyBoy

I flattened the battery a while back and had to go through the three cycles to get the EML to go out but the bike ran fine during that time, it didn't go into limp home mode, I did a 900 mile ride on the first restart with no problems. Your problem could be the gas.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

FrostedFlake

Yep, it seems bad gas was the culprit.  I had a bottle of Stabil in the garage and thought I'd try that before draining the tank.  Went out for my third heat cycle and within a few miles everything was good.  I'm guessing I had some water and the drying agent in the Stabil took care of it.  Life is good.  Oh, and the light went off like it should.

Stretch

I love happy endings.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Stretch"I love happy endings.

Just an old softie eh???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

FrostedFlake

Happy indeed!   :)  I'm supposed to head down to Big Bend on Friday, would have hated to miss that!

flux

Quote from: "Stretch"I love happy endings.

Me too.  She love me long time.   8)