News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does coolant have a shelf life ???

Started by jays58, February 20, 2009, 11:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jays58

Knowing that I'm planning to do a coolant flush on my '02 Tiger, one of my riding buddies gifted me with a couple quarts of Honda brand pre-mixed coolant that is a good 6 - 8 years old.  It is still in the original sealed bottle, but I'm just wondering - is there any reason it would lose any of its' properties over time?  I'm thinking it should be fine - but  I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any reason I shouldn't  use the stuff?  Thanks for any help!  ---Jay
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250

Goober

I googled this recently since I too have some old coolant.  Here is quote from Havoline's website:

"The primary limiting factor in the shelf life of a coolant is silicate instability. Since silicate will eventually polymerize to silicate gel, all traditional coolants have a shelf life of about 18 months."

I saw other numbers that varied from 1-5 years from other manufacture's websites.
2005 Silver Tiger

jays58

Goober;  Thanks for sharing your research.  Looks like I'll be buying some fresh stuff!   ---J
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250