News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tank removal - fuel flows when return hose disconnected

Started by jays58, February 28, 2009, 06:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jays58

I began to remove my fuel tank to do a coolant flush and upgrade  the tank fittings with the Team Triumph kit.  This is my first time removing the tank, so I'm carefully following the step by step instructions in my Haynes service manual.  It says..."The feed and return hose unions and the outlets from the tank are self-sealing, so there is no need to worry about fuel spillage..."  When I disconnected the return hose, (the upper one), the tank outlet sealed, but the fuel began to run steadily from the loose end of the hose.  At first I thought it was just the fuel laying in the hose draining out, but clearly it's much more than that.  There does not seem to be a seal on the 90 degree fitting that mates up to the tank fitting.  

Am I missing something here?  Will the fuel continue to run until the tank is drained?  How can I seal this off, so I can proceed with tank removal?  Thanks!  ---Jay
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250

jays58

After reading some other posts a little more closely, I think I can answer my own question.  It appears that the PO had the recall done and my bike's fitted with the non-valved, Triumph replacements.  So, I think I'll just clamp the hose and go ahead and install the male Team Triumph part before even lifting the tank off!  ---J
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250