News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New member questions

Started by 97Tiger, March 05, 2009, 10:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97Tiger

where is the best place to purchase a center stand?

Mustang

Quote from: "97Tiger"where is the best place to purchase a center stand?
Sw Motech makes a center stand for steamers , and it is the OEM stand that Triumph sold for them .
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /2004/501/
$180 bucks

Birdy68

Quote from: "Mustang"
Sw Motech makes a center stand for steamers , and it is the OEM stand that Triumph sold for them.

Sounds good!

IS it good?
• Does it reduce clearance?
• Does it restrict cornering?

*restraining from pressing 'BUY ITEM' button before receiving feedback*
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they\'re hot!

Mustang

Quote from: "Birdy68"
Quote from: "Mustang"
Sw Motech makes a center stand for steamers , and it is the OEM stand that Triumph sold for them.

Sounds good!

IS it good?
• Does it reduce clearance?
• Does it restrict cornering?

*restraining from pressing 'BUY ITEM' button before receiving feedback*
depends on the bike and rider

a tiger with the stock rear shock that is 12 or more years old will probably scrape hard on the center stand when being ridden aggressively
for me I  have lived without one on the tigers for almost 15 years now and never have wished I had a c stand on it .
I have a brand new still in the package triumph centerstand that is just sitting in the garage have never had the need or the urge to put it on .

Some folks love em and claim they can't scrape em , others will have horror storys about crashing caused from the centerstand touching down .

Me , I like the bikes without em and  don't feel that I need them .

Papalobster

I have one on my Steamer. I think I've used it 4 times in the last month. Mostly just for maintenance. I don't ride the Tiger aggressively though, Bu t it seems like you'd really have to lean er over for it to touch.

The most glorious aspect of having a center stand is when someone is a bit close for comfort behind you, then step down on the stand and get a wonderful shower of sparks. Cars tend to back off pretty fast. Great fun!

Birdy68

@ Mustang:
Thanks for the feedbacks.
Bike and Rider... Well....
Bike:
As you may know from my previous posts, the bike is around 14 years old (1995). So I am rather looking forward to stripping it down - cleaning it up - replacing seals - changing coils - etc... Basically: Getting my hands dirty and smelling of oil again :lol:

Rider:
Slightly over weight, easy riding style - nothing aggressive - enjoys stopping for a bite of his tuna-fish sandwiches all the time!

In the mean time I can only say it's 'unfortunately' the garage I'm buying the Tiger from will be putting a new chain & sprockets on for me.
I say 'unfortunatly' as I have read the thread regarding 'Chain set & Sprocket replacement' http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5024 and both liked & approved of the split sprocket cover design from Patrick.

I just think a Center Stand would help with certain smaller services and also save me a bit of space when parking in the garage!

@ Papalobster:
Yup - as I've just said, I think it'll be good for small services and also helping and upright next to the wife's car in the garage!

Will start to look around and see if I notice any other Tigers with one fitted.
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they\'re hot!

JetdocX

I use the center stand every day.  I have the SW Motec one.  Never scraped it.  I've had the bike on the track.  My boots and pegs scrape but the center stand does not.

Bike with chains need center stands, IMO. :wink:   It makes working on mine so much easier.  And I do a lot of work on mine.  Hopefully yours doesn't require the same amount of attention.

From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

If you struggle to find one then try this;-  Sprint Manufacturing....

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/70231/in ... h=&sought=

That's right £110!

I dropped by the place today to buy this item and some other post-crash stuff but the guy was out.

I'll try again next week and write up how it is to fit, use etc

I have just trashed the sidestand (it's a sort of 's' shape now) and so fancy a centre stand.  Will make changing wheels, fixing punctures, oiling chain easier, no?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "nickcalne"I dropped by the place today to buy this item and some other post-crash stuff but the guy was out.

Check your email, I may have a deal for you, don't ask it's embarassing  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint