News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Laid off this afternoon

Started by AndyM, March 07, 2009, 01:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyM

I was laid off this afternoon. I had a feeling it was coming but the reality of it still sucks. I was the second shift Production Supervisor for an electronics assembly business in Walnut Creek. We did a lot for the defense industry and with the current administration things aren't looking too good.
My background is in manufacturing, from quartz sensors under a microscope to large capital equipment. If anyone has any leads in the Northern California area please give me a shout.

Andy

aeronca

sorry to hear about this. i hope all the best for you.      eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

TigerTrax

Andy...
One door closes... others open
I know it is a cliche` but I also believe it is a truism.

Go to your suppliers and competitors; Find, like firms, evaluate at what other capacity you can be of value to a prospective employer, get your name out there. Don't be afraid to tell people you need work.

There is a terrific video many people should watch several times. '212°'
( Google 212°  and watch the 212 second long video )
Watch it from time to time .... it is well done and allows you to focus on what you need to do.

Good Luck ... Most of us have been there before. The road can be rough
but a good attitude and working diligently will keep you in the game.

(PS... there are 17 unfilled positions at the US Treasury Dept that Tax Fraud Geittner has not yet been able to fill. Write him a note saying 'fortunately for him, you are now available, when do I start?' )
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

PeteH

Hmm, so its not just over here then, good advise from TigerTrax-untapped skills, who knows what you can do.

Pecker up and good luck :wink:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

coachgeo

man I would love to get laid off.... hell I'm not getting paid at all anyway...  :shock:

oh wait.... shit....... can't get laid off.

I own the biz.....  damit :evil:
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

HappyMan

Quote from: "coachgeo"man I would love to get laid off.... hell I'm not getting paid at all anyway...  :shock:

oh wait.... shit....... can't get laid off.

I own the biz.....  damit :evil:

Yes, owning a business can suck at times but I always remind myself that I am the last one to get laid off.  That's both positive and negative....
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

coachgeo

Quote from: "HappyMan"...

Yes, owning a business can suck at times but I always remind myself that I am the last one to get laid off.  That's both positive and negative....
yeppers..... and its like.... use nice guys allways finish last...... and the woman thank us for it. 8)  :shock:  :twisted:  :D
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

JetdocX

Sorry to hear that Andy.  If my job disappeared, I'd be looking toward the green/renewable energy industries.  Seems like a lot of $$$ is flowing that direction right now.  Get in on the ground floor and move up quick???

In the meantime, enjoy some of this:

http://unemploymentality.com/2009/03/se ... ing-spree/    

Found for me by my recently laid-off sister (Got the Macro-Shaft first round). Here's her blog and it's actually entertaining unlike my musings here:

http://lordsandladiesofleisure.wordpres ... dergarten/

She's not making any scrilla from it, so can it be spam?
From parts unknown.

TigerTrax

Yesterday SHELL announced they were getting out of the
renewable business.... including wind turbines. Why?
There was no payback.

The Heritage Foundation recently put out their findings on the ' Green Industries' and determined there would be very few jobs in that industry for several years.

JetdocX

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Yesterday SHELL announced they were getting out of the
renewable business.... including wind turbines. Why?
There was no payback.

The Heritage Foundation recently put out their findings on the ' Green Industries' and determined there would be very few jobs in that industry for several years.

Scatching my head on that one....so they plan to just close up and go home when the oil runs out, I guess? :lol:
From parts unknown.

TigerTrax

They ain't going to run out of oil. They simply choose to NOT be in the
renewable energy business now... it is NOT profitable.

We are not going to run out of oil.

We are not going to run out of coal.
This ... and every industrialized nation runs on OIL and COAL .... not plants, not wind, not imaginary fuel cells.  

I am all for improvement... but the technology to apply these renewable
energy sources to the 'heavy lifting' of manufacturing and transportation
just is not there yet. Until it is, we run on oil & coal.

I would like to see 25 new nuclear power plants in the next 5 years. But evidently the 'guberment' does not see things in a real world scenario. We are in deep doo-doo ... because we elect idiots......

TigerTrax

They ain't going to run out of oil. They simply choose to NOT be in the
renewable energy business now... it is NOT profitable.

We are not going to run out of oil.

We are not going to run out of coal.
This ... and every industrialized nation runs on OIL and COAL .... not plants, not wind, not imaginary fuel cells.  

I am all for improvement... but the technology to apply these renewable
energy sources to the 'heavy lifting' of manufacturing and transportation
just is not there yet. Until it is, we run on oil & coal.

I would like to see 25 new nuclear power plants in the next 5 years. But evidently the 'guberment' does not see things in a real world scenario. We are in deep doo-doo ... because we elect idiots......

MikeFromMT

Quote from: "TigerTrax"because we elect idiots......

What do you mean "we" paleface... :lol:

To the OP, look at the good side, you just got laid off at the start of riding season, collect unemployment and go for a ride, I got laid off in November  :x  not much riding to do up here at that time of the year.

BTW I took the opportunity to get a part time job and go back to school to retrain in an industry that pays well and is unlikely to be a victim of a bad economy.  You're never too old to be a student.
Do I look like a man with a plan?