News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

K&N Oil Filter and stuff

Started by Cos, March 10, 2009, 07:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cos

Ok, so after much ado, red tape, and other frustrating shit that went on, my Tiger should be hitting port tomorrow, which means it should be at my place on Friday.  :wav

After i re-assemble her, i gots to do an oil change.
So...K&N filters are readily available here, along with Hiflo filters. The Hiflo is a little cheaper but the K&N has the handy dandy 17 mm nut. Anybody have any experience with the K&N? Does it suck or not?

Oil...no, i'm not going to ask which one. I know better  :lol:

However, a friend will give me a discount on Igol oil, which i've never heard of while i was in the states. Any of the Europeans here ever use it?

Have i mentioned that i'm ecstatic i'm getting my Tiger back?  :eusa_dance  :friday  :hello2  :hello2  :hello2

Stretch

Fantastic!  Then you can ride around and get some photos.  Finally.

:mrgreen:

Cos

Quote from: "Stretch"Fantastic!  Then you can ride around and get some photos.  Finally.

:mrgreen:

I can do without the tone there buddy.  :lol:

Anything to opine on my stupid filter query?

Mustang

Take a wild guess who make's K&N oil filters ...........................
If you said Hi Flo give that man a prize , the only difference is the nut welded on the end .

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Cos"the K&N has the handy dandy 17 mm nut.

I find the nut makes removal EASY. I hate wrestling with oil filters, they can be such a mess. Worth the extra buck IMHO.
Bruin\'

JetdocX

Get the nut.  You need to make it as easy on yourself as possible. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Yep.  K&N OIL filters = good.

Their air filters, not so much.  Or at all.  But that's another topic.

Cos

Probably K&N it is then.

How the hell do i take off the old one?

John Stenhouse

Tank off, that reveals the airbox, unscrew the screws on the cover, take old filter out, aim at bin, oil up and put the new one in.

Igol oil should be ok provided it's up to spec. JASO marked? If not then it's car oil, you use it at your own risk.

Friction modifiers aren't recommended with a wet clutch, having said that I use a car oil.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

abruzzi

I prefer the Purolator Pure one.

Geof

Stretch

Quote from: "Cos"How the hell do i take off the old one?

You'll probably have to spring for the tool, or maybe borrow one.

You know, around the corner at Autozone.  :mrgreen:

PeteH

If its a standard oil filter whack a screwdriver through it, just make sure your drip tray is suitably placed :wink:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

JetdocX

Quote from: "PeteH"

If its a standard oil filter whack a screwdriver through it, just make sure your drip tray is suitably placed :wink:

The thought of Cos holding a screwdriver and a hammer..... :shock:

You really don't want to go there, Cos.
From parts unknown.

Stretch

If you hit it hard enough, you may be able to let the oil out of the case without touching the drain plug.  

Cos

Quote from: "abruzzi"I prefer the Purolator Pure one.

Geof

I have no clue if those are available in Cyprus.