News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OOPS...Time for Metal Fittings

Started by Jon KB, March 13, 2009, 06:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon KB

Having carefully read everything in the girly forum I was prepared to remove my fuel tank and repair the vacuum hose attached to the fuel regulator.

The tank removal and hose repair was relatively easy.  

The re-installation of the fuel tank was easy until I attempted to attach the fuel supply hose, whereupon I promptly broke the female coupler.

I re-read all the posts I could find on metal fuel fittings
It appears that the fitting recall had been performed as the elbow fittings are metal while the female fitting that broke is plastic.

Since the metal fittings are not valved and gas drippage is a pain I ordered all four valved fittings from QuickCoupling:

------------------------------------------------------
2 x LCD23006 - 3/8 Hose Barb Valved Elbow CPC Coupling Insert (LCD23006) =
$21.30
2 x LCD10004BSPT - 1/4 BSPT Valved CPC Coupling Body (LCD10004BSPT) = $21.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $42.30
Table Rate (Best Way): $8.50
Total: $50.80

They'll be here in a week or two.

So now to prepare the tank for the new fittings.

I removed the fuel pump assy

Then I removed the intact female coupler
The broken coupler broke off flush with the threads

So now I have to figure out how to remove it without damaging the threads.
I think I'll try to superglue a bolt to the plastic and see if I can un-screw it.

Any thoughts, suggestions and or questions?
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time
mailto:ttigerfoot@gmail.com\">ttigerfoot@gmail.com

walker

I tried the hot screwdriver melted into the plastic trick.... it made a huge mess.

If I had to do it again, I would cut little slits into the inner side of the plastic - down to the metal thread (or close to it). 12 or so. Then I could have used a small screwdriver and dental pick to get one or more of the little "sections" removed.... once you do that, the rest of it would be easy to remove.

curious to know what has worked for others - mine was set in there pretty tight.... but at least it's plastic threads on metal threads - so you can get all the plastic out if you take your time.

2004Tiger

Just looking at your pic, looks like if you can remove the plastic ball, you could drive in an easy-out to twist the fitting. I have a set of easy outs which are not reverse-twisted, simply a straight taper with sharp corners.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Jon KB

My wife took a pencil torch and a dental pic to it and cleaned it out good

She is the slowly and carefully side of this partnership.

Now the wait for the new fittings to arrive,

Oh well it's snowing raining and hailing out today, not much good for riding.

It's the sunny days that will make the wait seem forever.
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time
mailto:ttigerfoot@gmail.com\">ttigerfoot@gmail.com