News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie Needs Opinions (Updated)

Started by SERadtke, March 21, 2009, 02:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SERadtke

I have the opportunity to purchase an '01 Girly that has been wrecked for a relatively cheap price from a friend at work. It is low miles, good runner but........  
                -he lost the title
                -it needs a gauge cluster/ front fairing

I'm pretty sure I can overcome the title issue but I'm not having any luck finding any used gauges. New is out of the question ($1200!!!).
Here's my questions:
1. How hard will it be to find the parts I need ( or modify something to work)?
2. If I don't fix it, what is a good engine worth, wheels, forks etc.?
3. Should I just run away?
Thanks for ANY input!!
                                                   Shawn
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

Bixxer Bob

Put 955i Tiger into Ebay UK nad you'll get most of your answers.  Some guy is breaking a Girly that's only done 800 miles.

I had the fuel hose he was selling to make up an extension for when I do my throttle bodies...... was really after the female coupling as I can knock up the male on my lathe......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

LAZYRIDER

I JUST BOUGHT A 2001 TIGER LAST MONTH. I WOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT GETTING IT TITLED MORE THAN FINDING PARTS. THIS IS MY 1ST TRIUMPH AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I HAVE OWNED 2 GOLDWINGS,2 650 BMWS AND LOTS OF JAPANESE DIRT BIKES OVER THE YEARS BUT THIS TIGER IS SOMETHING SPECIAL. WITH EBAY YOU CAN EVENTUALLY FIND ANYTHING YOU NEED. I BOUGHT A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL LAST WEEK ON EBAY. CONTACT THE LOCAL BMV AND FIND OUT HOW COMPLICATED IT WOULD BE TO GET A TITLE IN YOUR NAME FOR THE MOTORCYCLE

SERadtke

Thanks guys.
Bob, I had forgotten you guys had you own Ebay site....thanks for the tip. Still no gauges, but it gave me some leads! I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger, worst case, I should be able to recoup my costs if I have titling issues.
Shawn
<((()))><

JasonS

.. i see sub frames and gauge clusters and other parts on ebay here in the states on a regularly infrequent basis... iow   be patient they do come up..
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

Bruincounselor

If you pull the trigger and are having issues with title I live up I94 in a state where title may be very easy.....
Bruin\'

SERadtke

Thanks Jason, I'll keep my eyes open!
Bruin', I'll keep that in mind!     :wink:
Shawn
<((()))><

SERadtke

So I went and looked at it last night. He said that a dealer told him it was an 885i, is that a possibility for being manufactured in 7/2000?? If so, is that as desirable as a 955i? I haven't seen a whole lot of discussion about an 885i around here or over at TRat.

She is going to need some work, and parts....but the price is really right.
Thanks again for any input!!
Shawn
<((()))><

Jon KB

I just bought a 2000 Tiger 885i,

I've only put a 1000 miles on so far but I love it!  With that said it depends on what your riding style is, it won't be as quick as the 955 or the 1050 but it has torque all the way and can handle the weight of 2up riding without any problems no matter the distance.
 Prior to purchasing my Tiger I put in a combined total of 14 hours of riding in the last year including only one 4 hour ride, I picked up the Tiger in Reno and road it to Tacoma WA 760 miles in 2 days with no significant aches or pains and no rump problems, (she does have a Corbin seat) this is a sweet long distance rider. Gas mileage varied from roughly 55mpg at 70mph to 65mpg at 50mph.
She doesn't have the kick-in-the-pants hold-on-for-dear-life quickness of a crotch rocket but her speed sneaks up on you. When passing a car at 60mph I didn't notice my speed until I pulled back into my lane and it was over a 110mph, I wasn't even trying!

This bike is a keeper.
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time
mailto:ttigerfoot@gmail.com\">ttigerfoot@gmail.com

SERadtke

Oh how I LOVE yellow!! Beautiful bike Jon! Thanks for the input. I'm almost positive I'm going to pull the trigger.  So a bike manufactured in July of 2000 is a 2000 885I?
Shawn
<((()))><

Jon KB

Quote from: "SERadtke"Oh how I LOVE yellow!! Beautiful bike Jon! Thanks for the input. I'm almost positive I'm going to pull the trigger.  So a bike manufactured in July of 2000 is a 2000 885I?

I came across the comment quoted below online, I cannot verify it.

"To determine the year of the bike look at the 8th digit just prior to the J immediately preceding the last six digits. Confused? Here's an example: 1J113755. This is the last 8 digits of the VIN. The first number listed (prior to the J) is the last digit of the year. In this case, 2001."

Mine is slightly different, the last nine digits are H9YJ098157
Sinci I don't have a number in the position the quote mentions I looked at the 9th position, if it is correct my bike was manufactured in 1999.

However a easy way to tell the difference is to look at the engine right side casing and the painted stripes, they have different case coverings and the stripes on the 99/00 models were horizontal and starting in 2oo1 the stripes ran vertically.

Here is a good view of the stripes and the right side of a 99/00

Here is an example of a 2001 to 2004? right side side.

In comparison the differences should be clear.

This may not be definitive but I hope this helps.
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time
mailto:ttigerfoot@gmail.com\">ttigerfoot@gmail.com

Stretch

Bottom pic is an '05... silver frame and swingarm, linear chain adjustment, cast wheels and three screws on the clutch cover.
'06 's are essentially the same, but with 1050 cases having no screws on the clutch cover).

2001 to 2004 have spoke wheels, black frames, and eccentric chain adjusters.

Here's a good online resource for Tiger model year changes:

http://www.hermys.com/triumph/tiger/2005/

Backspace and change the model year in the web address to see the specs and photo for that year of Tiger.

Edited to add:  The photo for the 2006 in the Hermy's link is really a 2005.  

The 2001 shown is an early 2001... Roulette Green, but with a leftover 885i (1999-2000) engine.

SERadtke

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help! Hey Stretch, any idea of the cutoff of the '00/'01 model years? If it was built in July, would it be a '00 or a '01? As soon as I get the title thing sorted out, I'll be posting up a parts needed thread! :oops:  :)
Shawn
<((()))><

Stretch

An '01 is an '01.  2000 models didn't have Roulette Green as a color option.  

It's just that some early 2001's used up the remaining 885i engines left over from the 2000 production run.

I don't know where the VIN numbers separate the two engines within the 2001 model year.  I seem to recall a post in which
Sasquatch commented on it, but I can't find it.  It may have been on ADVrider.

walker

never noticed that at hermy's.... the 2001 link has a 2000 pictured in the blue... the stripes on the tank are the 2000 model type.

some quick identification tips...