News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork Oil

Started by Bixxer Bob, March 30, 2009, 05:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

No, not a discussion about different weights, that's been done.

Went to my dealer to get new fork oil,  Need Kabaya G10 according to the manual.  He sold me Motul W10.  I assume it's the same, but it looks a bit thinner than the original (and it's oil-coloured, not red)  is it right?  I didn't have any handling issues with the original oil so want to keep it the same .....  :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tom Herold

From my personal experience, 10W is 10W, regardless of the manufaturer. It has been refined to meet specific standards, so your bike shouldn't feel any different.

As far as the color goes, some manufacturers add dye to help in detecting a leak, should one occur.

Anyone else want to jump in on this one, I'm at the end of my knowledge base.....???
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

Bixxer Bob

Thanks guys...

More to think about - need to compare the SSU value apparently.  

Update:  not marked on the oil bottle, so I'll just have to go with it.  Ten weight it is....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

blacktiger

They specify Kayaba G10 because the forks are Kayaba forks. That's all. One 10W is the same as any other 10W.  The colour is irrelevant.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Feels a bit softer, but I could be imagining it and yes,  I double checked the oil levels etc (even made my own foolproof gauge for doing it - I'll start a seperate post for that). Tomorrow's ride will tell :roll: