News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Overheating Tiger

Started by Briker, June 07, 2004, 05:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briker

Has anyone had any problems with the Tiger overheating, or threatening to, at an idle. I've had my 04 temp guage get pretty high, while in traffic. It happened to me this weekend and the temperature was only in the 70's F. I'm a little concerned with the summer heat coming. The fan kicks on, so I know that's working.

tigerowner_ut

My 99 has overheted in heavy traffic.  It is pretty normal to put the guage in the red at idle on a hot day in traffic.  Even with the fan going it is not enough to cool the bike down at idle.  You need to get the water circulating to cool the bike.  Many swear by Engine Ice to lower temps.  I haven't used it.  Unless you ar spewing water I wouldn't be too concerned.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)

Sasquatch

I think you guys have something wrong.  While in SoCal a few weeks ago, I ran into 104-107 degree temperatures, and even at idle in traffic, the guage never got above 3/4's, well away from the red.

You may consider changing your coolant (using a good phosphate free coolant) and mixing it more in the range of 60% distilled water, 40% coolant.  This will give you plenty of heat/freeze protection but add a bit of thermal transfer abilities.  Water transferes heat much better than glycol.

I would also make sure you thermostat is opening fully and your fans are working properly.  I have not had a bike overheat since the mid 80's if it is working properly.

tigerowner_ut

I must clarify that while my temp guage entered the red it never boiled over in any way on my 99.  If this is the same on your bike you most likely do not have a problem unless it runs hot consistantly.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)