News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A Steamer or a Girly?

Started by Bob Tosi, April 05, 2009, 08:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

I am new to Tigers but not bikes.  I have had a license since I was 18 and am now 48.  With long times of not riding in between.  Got to do it now!  So I have found Tigers but which is the better ride?  A Steamer or a Girly?  What I want is a daily driver and a weekend fun bike that I can take on trips into the mountains and go off on those dirt and gravel forest service roads to find some adventure.  go wherever the road less traveled takes I guess.

I would be riding 2 up until the wife gets her license if it matters.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

RT

Use my 06 for two up with the wife.   Your going to have to put a top box or some kind of back support for her.   I put a JC Whitney box on mine.  Inexpensive, work great, and she likes it.   Really likes it now that I have upgraded the seat.

Downside, my wife is short and does have some problems getting on bike with side cases one.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

Bob Tosi

the two I am looking at have top boxes and side cases.

JetdocX

Too many problem children in the Steamer's ranks.  Better go with a newer bike.  Five.....four....three.....two....one....... :lol:
From parts unknown.

SERadtke

Quote from: "JetdocX"Too many problem children in the Steamer's ranks.  Better go with a newer bike.  Five.....four....three.....two....one....... :lol:

:lol:  :lol:
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

Bob Tosi

Problem children?  Who these guys?  No way........just a bunch of fun loving adult children right? :lol:

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Too many problem children in the Steamer's ranks.  Better go with a newer bike.  Five.....four....three.....two....one....... :lol:
Just your's .............. :ImaPoser
did you get that pig running again yet ?

Bob Tosi

JetdocX

Quote from: "Mustang"
Just your's .............. :ImaPoser
did you get that pig running again yet ?

Which begs the question:  Is it the bike or the rider? :lol:
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

What I am trying to find out is what are the major differences between the 2,  Other than fuel injection vs carburators.  

Is there much differences in the frames and the suspensions?

Are the engines basically the same except for FI vs Carbs?  

Can the Girlies take the off road as well as I hear the Steamers can?........

Is one more reliable than the other?

JetdocX

The girlies are more reliable than the Steamers.  FI beats carbs every time for reliability, IMO.  Plus the 955 engine is a kick in the ass compared to the 885 carbed model.  The Girly is quite a bit easier to do the routine maintenance than the Steamer as well.

Both models have their pluses and minuses.  The ergos for the Girly don't feel right for me and the Steamer just sings to me all the way up to the rev limiter.

Ride both then decide if you can. :wink:

Mustang will be along shortly to tell me how full of beans I am, but you wanted opinions.  I've ridden and wrenched on both.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

you know an old superstition is to never paint a motorcycle green because it is bad luck ..................I think with yours there might be some truth to that myth  :ImaPoser

Have you got it running again  yet ,

JetdocX

The super-secret Rolls-Royce Hylomar sealant was ordered and something completely different came in.  My dealer got on the phone and the right stuff is on its way.  And I'm going to be out of town until Sunday, so I won't see any sealant until next Tuesday IF it comes in at all.  

So far the sealant is in stealth mode. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

It's that green thing again .......you should ..............................

JetdocX

Painting it black has been scientifically proven to reduce top speed, torque and accelleration by a factor of 2. :lol:
From parts unknown.