News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Proper way to burp coolant system ?

Started by Captscottreeh, April 07, 2009, 11:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captscottreeh

Can someone tell me the proper way to burp my coolant system ?Flushed and refilled w/ new coolant....also changed my fuel line/tank fittings w/ the Team Triumph ones :). Thanks for all that reply !
Deep in the heart of Texas!

Bixxer Bob

No doubt others will have views, but I found it straight forward (maybe I was just lucky?)

After re-tightening the hose used to drain down, I removed the filler cap and bleed screw from the thermostat housing just to the rear of the filler cap.  Fill her up slowly and patiently, allowing the coolant to trickle down at it's own pace, gently squeezing the hoses to displace air.  Once squeezing causes the coolant to splash out of the filler,  put the cap back on (leave the screw out for now) and squeeze a few more times.  Keep removing the cap and adding more coolant, replacing the cap and squeezing, until you can't get any more in and coolant is also splashing out of the bleed screw hole.  Replace the bleed screw and filler cap and fill the header tank to the marked level and you're done.   Start her up, let her run for a minute or two and check for leaks; if all's well take her for a short run, then keep an eye on the level for a day or two till you're sure everything is as it should be.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Captscottreeh

Thanks Bob

I did as you said ( before you responded ) except I did not open the bleed screw on top of the houseing.I then filled the expansion tank between low and high marks.Took her for a spin and she drank some coolant ( down to alittle below the low mark ). I just got through topping her off.Is there something I should do before I ride her again ?
Deep in the heart of Texas!

Bixxer Bob

Nope.  Just keep an eye on that level the next couple of times you take her out - until she settles down....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

flux

I'm finally getting around to doing this... one question... you take the hose off that goes into the water pump and drain the old coolant that way?  

Thanks!

EvilBetty

Is there any reason to flush / fill a coolant system, outside of having other symptoms?

I mean if the bike is running at normal temperature, the level is within tolerances, and the fluid is not showing signs of rust... is there any preventative reason to do this?

I heard people say that dealers are recommending a flush and fill every 10k.  This seems like getting your oil changed every 1K when the owners manual says every 10K.

There is no mention in the owners manual, service manual, or scheduled maintenance forms that I can see that recommends a fluid flush / change of the cooling system.  Just checks.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

I can't say for sure without looking it up, but I seem to remember the inhibitors that stop the coolant attacking the alloy that your engine is made from lose their effectiveness after a couple of years so that's why it needs changing.  When you think of the small cost, it's not worth risking damage to your motor / radiator for a few dollars eh?

EvilBetty

If this was on any of the cars I've back-flushed I'd agree, but from the posts I've seen this coolant system is finicky and very hard to purge of air.  So if there is not a reason to do it, I rather not bother a working system.

I'll go Google the inhibitors and additives.

EvilBetty

Man... a lot of misinformation on the topic out there.

This seemed the most accurate.
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairq ... 011_1.html

FullMonte

Quote from: "EvilBetty"If this was on any of the cars I've back-flushed I'd agree, but from the posts I've seen this coolant system is finicky and very hard to purge of air.  So if there is not a reason to do it, I rather not bother a working system.

I haven't ridden my Tiger more than 100 miles since April because of this very issue.  Don't mess with it or you may be sorry... like me.  I've been riding the DR650 since and frankly I just don't feel like wasting another whole dam day on that fooking Tiger coolant system. :roll:  Wish I'd never changed it in the first place. :cry:

matttys

Quote from: "FullMonte"Don't mess with it or you may be sorry... like me.  

I haven't had any problems doing my cooling system.  Did it the same way I've done all my bikes: bleed, insert coolant, squeeze hoses, let sit over night with cap loosely on, squeeze some more, go ride.  No real issues.  I just take this bike as one that will run hot depending on riding conditions.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

EvilBetty

I've been inching on uphill sloped roads in 100 degree traffic, and though I was about to die, the bike was sitting half-way on the temp gauge.  It may be unrelated, but it worries me to induce a cooling system related problem by performing a cooling flush / fill.

On the other hand I really don't want my block eaten alive by bad coolant either.  I think I'm going to get one of those Antifreeze pH dropper tube things and see how it's looking.

ridin gaijin

My 05 has totally died due to suspected charging issues brought about by overheating. This happened since moving to our nation's wonderful capitol, where I'm in Beltway traffic 45+ minutes daily in 1st and 2nd gear.

1. Purchase & install voltmeter
2. Sasquatch fix
3. Flush & replace coolant: every time that fan comes on at low rpms, it drains battery power. My gauge, like yours, was reading at the middle.
4. ...add'l steps as needed (hopefully NOT replacing regulator etc.).

YMMV
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Bixxer Bob

I'm scratching my head a bit here.... I drained and filled my Tiger with no probs; just took it easy and patient till all the air was out - and it wasn't that finnicky.  I just used a smallish funnel which meant I filled it fairly slowly allowing the air to escape as I went, as I described elsewhere.

Next, it seems there are some cooling probs that are not fill-related.  If you're struggling to keep it cool in traffic (fan coming on is normal and temp should stabilise about half way up the gauge) then either the rad is blocked - unlikely if the coolant is changed regularly and if it's clear blue (assuming your antifreeze is blue like mine) when you drain it the rad shouldn't be blocked - or the fins of the rad are blocked with crud.  If it's internal blocking, backflush it, if it's external blocking blow from back to front with and airline to dislodge the loose dirt, then lots of water - again from the back - at low pressure until the dirt is good and soft then work it through with a stiff paintbrush.  Easier off the bike, as you can soak it to soften the dirt, but can be done on bike if it's not too bad.

Finally, if your fan running messes up your charging system that's another issue entirely.... there's many more know more than me on that subject...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Man... a lot of misinformation on the topic out there.

This seemed the most accurate.
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairq ... 011_1.html

Good work EB, I had a quick look around and concur.

EB does the legwork so you don't have to!!! :lol: