News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Not starting any more

Started by hobie, April 17, 2009, 03:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobie

I've been riding for a month with no problems, but the other day, I hit the starter button and nothing happened: no click or turning over, just silence.  I put it in and out of gear, lowered/raised the sidestand (I use the centre stand) and no go.  I pulled the control wires from the relay and touched them to the battery terminals and it starts easily.  Kill switch works too, just not the starter button.  I tried shorting the contacts in the button to see if it was wonky, but that did nothing.  If it's the neutral or kick stand switches would I hear a click or starter motor?  
 What other components should I check?  I have a wiring diagram in the Haynes, but I don't understand parts of it.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.
It\'s not ugly, it\'s uglificent.

Mustang

do you get a neutral light on the dash panel ? if yes it's probably not the neutral switch .
If the kill switch is made you will get nothing , no click no nothing when pressing the starter button .
you can
it's either the stand switch or the relay that's the problem if the kill switch and neutral light are working , what happens if you pull the clutch when it's in neutral and hit the starter button

hobie

The neutral light is on.  I thought that the stand switch will kill the ignition only if the bike is put in gear.  If the switch malfuncitons, will it also stop it starting in neutral?
It's not the relay itself, as this has tested ok, but it isn't getting current.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.

Mustang

what happens if you pull the clutch when it's in neutral and hit the starter button

hobie

I tried that but it had no effect.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.

Mustang

have you checked the really dumb stuff first , like are the battery connections tight and not corrroded ?

or maybe a blown fuse in the tail panel fuse box . if those are good I would really suspect either side stand switch or the relay

hobie

Yes.  If I touch the control wires of the relay to the battery terminals, the bike starts first time.  There is some problem between the starter button and the relay.  I'm just not sure how many things are between those 2 points.  Is there a fuse, or a switch, etc.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.

aeronca

brother hobie, last winter i was having trouble starting mine(nothing when you hit the starter button), i had corosion on the contacts at the start switch.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

hobie

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have disassembled the starter button and it looks fine.  I'll try tracing the wires today.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.

JetdocX

Sorry, Hobie, but looking at something and making a determination as to how much current it will pass are two different things.  Do you have a VOM?  Start at the beginning.  I don't have time right now because I'm taking my son skiing, but I'll be back later to help if you want it.  Sounds like you will need a meter, though. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

yellow wire from key switch sends 12 volt to kill switch on handlebar which in turn(when in run position) supplys 12 volt to coils and starter button (which when pushed ) sends 12 volt to the plus side of the starter relay ,

I think this is the relay you have been jumping , big round one under the seat ?

but the side stand switch relay is the one that supplys ground current to the starter relay , it won't be the neutral switch at fault because you stated you have a light on dash when in neutral
my bet is on side stand relay or side stand switch
try placing a jumper to the ground side of the starter relay from the battery and see if the starter button will operate the starter motor , if it does then your problem can only be in the clutch switch or side stand switch  or side stand relay

hobie

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I have it working now - it was the starter button.  First time I disassemled it was in the dark with a pocket flashlight.  I did it again in daylight and I see that the little disc inside the starter is covered with black gunk.  Cleaned it off and the switch now starts.  I am surprised that it went from starting 100% of the time to 0% of the time without any intermittent behaviour in between, otherwise I would have suspected it first.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.

Mustang

JetdocX

From parts unknown.

BiggerTigger

What a coincidence!

I'm two hours North of you, Hobie, and that exact same thing happened to me tonight.
I haven't cracked open the starter switch yet (too dark), but the symptoms are identical.  All my lights on the dash work, but not even a click when I try to start!  No warning, just all of a sudden nothing.
I'm glad I checked in here before I started pulling my hair out.

If you're ever heading North - PM me.  Would be cool to see two steamers at once (have yet to see another one).  Mine's a 96.