News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stalling problem

Started by mikethewelder, June 10, 2004, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikethewelder

Has anyone experienced stalling when their low fuel light is on. I had gone about 1o miles after it came on, parked at work, and when I started it up to go home, it wouldn't run without some throttle until I gassed up. I can't imagine I would use up the reserve in 10 miles. Any thoughts?

52blackshadow

Hi Mike,

I have a 2002 which stalls at tickover most of the time. A Triumph mechanic tells me that there is a stepper motor inside the airbox, which allows a small amount of air into the 'live' side of the throttle butterflies when the butterflies are completely closed because the throttle is shut.  It seems this is a common problem with the fuel injected models and parts cost about £ 40.00 to replace. I'm a bit dissappointed to find a problem like this with a bike that's not yet done 10k miles, but since it doesn't affect normal running, only tickover with a warm engine I'm not bothering to fix it yet (how often do you sit with the engine ticking over for long?).

Hope this helps, the problem is most noticable when the fuel is low!

Cheers,

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

Brock

Couldn't resist chipping in. I had an intermittent problem with the bike stalling sometimes on tickover last summer (2001 955i model). Typical place would be at traffic lights during hot weather. Since fitting the race can and having the efi remapped to suit I've had very little problem. Sometimes the tickover drops really low, but then picks up on its own.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Chris Canning

Hi Gents

I'll put my six penneth in as well!!!

If you guys have a problem with stalling(you shouldn't) take the bike back to the dealer and get then to fix it,if they give you a load of tosh!!! go somewhere else,it just shouldn't happen it's as simple as that,hot/cold or anything else!!!!

I had a 12000 service done recently(15 on the clock) when i got it home it was ticking over to high,phoned e'm took it back and they did it on the spot,no prob's,they just altered the program.

Kieth.

Who ever is telling you there's a What???? in the air box,is takeing the piss,i've had my airbox off(955) three or four times in the last few weeks,and i can tell you,that apart from an air restricting plate,and an air filter there's jack shit inside,blimey it's frightening what they tell the punters!!!!,if it's happening when then fuel is low,i'll give you good odds it's a vacum in the tank,or the fuel pump.

Chris

52blackshadow

Sorry Chris, the information came from a good friend of a good friend, with no reason to lie.  He's the service manager for the most local Triumph dealership to me and described it as being in the airbox, but may have been simplifying things (It may be somewhere close to it).

What he said was that there is a stepper motor (an electric motor which moves a step at a time, rather than spin continuously - quite common to find them in complicated systems like this.) which controls the air into the engine at tickover, by allowing a small amount of air through to the live side of the throttle butterflies, which are completely closed at tickover.  I see no reason to not believe him, and a component which begins to fail would explain why a machine which was running sweetly suddenly started stalling occasionally and the problem has got worse over time. The engine pulls well, and picks up well throughout the range, suggesting that I don't have a bigger problem (tight tappet etc.) causing the problem. He suggested that he could fix it and the part would cost about £ 40.00.

I have been riding bikes continuously for the past 30 years, and work in the IT industry so I'm not as green as you seem to be painting me. :wink:

Yours helpfully,

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

Chris Canning

Hi Keith

When i bought my first Tiger in 99,did 6000 miles took it in for a service,went and collected it,rode of round the corner i was gobsmacked,it was like another bike it was so much better,(and it wasn't bad when i took it in) went straight back and asked them what they'd done,with a blank face nothing he announced,i asked him if he thought i'd just got of the last banana boat!!!!,(i've been rideing 35 years) to which he owned up to changeing the tune,since then i've had 5 or 6 different ones installed(on different Tigers) some of them are like chalk and cheese,and not all good.

The Sagem system is good in the fact it can be upgraded,but the one thing i've learned(the hard way) you need a good man who knows what he's doing,some will tell you willingly and in some detail others wouldn't tell you the time of day,i'd be far more inclined to have the program looked at before anything else is done!!!.

The latest tune i have in is 18,a little strange but i haven't ridden far enough to give an honest answer yet!!!.

Chris

PaulBerg

I also have the phenomenon described on my 05.

Idles away quite happily and then out of the blue the tickover drops very low and then picks up again. This is not a problem but sometimes when the engine gets hot (like when fighting through traffic), the drop results in an engine stall. Very infrequent, but annoying when it does happen.

I believe the explanation of the stepper motor which controls idling being the culprit is probably right, as I had a similar problem on a previous Ducati.

Anybody else had this ?

Paul