News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Horn relocation... need ideas...

Started by flux, April 19, 2009, 01:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flux

Hey guys, has anybody ever relocated their stock horn?  Mine quit working a month ago and I finally realized it's because the 2 wires that lead to it had broken off...

So then I started looking under the bike while moving the wheel to and fro... and that horn bracket rubs against a LOT of assorted wires.  I could see where is rubs on some.  So (since it needs to be repaired anyway) I took the whole thing off.  

First of all, it was a lot heavier than I expected for some reason.

Secondly, now I'm looking for somewhere else to mount it... any ideas?

BEEZZER

Since you are at it... my suggestion is to buy a Stebel Nautilus....mount the compressor under the seat and attach horn to the frame on the right hand side. My dealer just did this to my bike and it looks OEM. THe horn is absolutely terrific. Used it the other day for driver backing out of driveway in front of me. He slammed on brakes and wrenched his neck around to find the semi truck bearing down on him.

Geoff

DaJudge

Quote from: "BEEZZER"Since you are at it... my suggestion is to buy a Stebel Nautilus....mount the compressor under the seat and attach horn to the frame on the right hand side. My dealer just did this to my bike and it looks OEM. THe horn is absolutely terrific. Used it the other day for driver backing out of driveway in front of me. He slammed on brakes and wrenched his neck around to find the semi truck bearing down on him.

Geoff

+1 on the Nautilus.  If you have the place to mount them (mine are on my Thunderbike crash bars), the Magnums have a deeper, but not quite as loud, sound compared to the Nautilus.  

Either is a HUGE improvement over stock.  Just be sure to wire them with 12ga or better wire via a relay.

matttys

My stebel is on the left and the compressor is behind the tail light.

Notice the tube for the compressor/horn.

\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

flux

Thanks for the ideas guys.  A Stebel is in my future but right now money is too tight to justify it.  For now I'll have to make due with the stocker... I'll be sure to let you guys know where I put it.

EvilBetty

I've only had to use my horn maybe twice.

Yesterday I was getting the bike safety inpsected for the tag renewal.  The turned on all the lights, blinkers, then hit the horn.

At first I thought one of the techs had dampened it with his hand or something.  It sounded like someone had put it in a bucket of water when they tested it.

Later on I was cruising down the highway and remembered this.  I hit the horn and it sound like the horn was about a 1/4 mile in front of me.  I hit it again, and it doubled back and reinstalled itself between my forks for the subsequent tests.

No idea.  If it's a simple fix, I'll fix it.  If not I'll just install a Nautilus.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I've only had to use my horn maybe twice.

Yesterday I was getting the bike safety inpsected for the tag renewal.  The turned on all the lights, blinkers, then hit the horn.

At first I thought one of the techs had dampened it with his hand or something.  It sounded like someone had put it in a bucket of water when they tested it.

Later on I was cruising down the highway and remembered this.  I hit the horn and it sound like the horn was about a 1/4 mile in front of me.  I hit it again, and it doubled back and reinstalled itself between my forks for the subsequent tests.

No idea.  If it's a simple fix, I'll fix it.  If not I'll just install a Nautilus.

Usually with horns they corrode, that changes the harmonic at which the sound plate vibrates and the contact gap goes out of tune.  The fix is simple:  first clean off the crud, then treat with some rust stopper, then hook it up to a battery (maybe warn the wife / kids / neighbours first).  Somewhere on the horn you'll find a little grub screw, it tunes the gap.  Back it off a little way and if that doesn't bring it on song, tighten it until it does.  If that doesn't work, it's time to replace.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

I'll check it out, thanks!

HockleyBoy

Or just replace it with a Stebel Magnum, very cheap, very loud and is a direct replacement for the OEM without any changes to the bike.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

Got to admit, I have a Stebel Nautilus mounted on my Touratech crash bars.... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tiger Bob

I have the same problem. Stocker sounds like its in a bucket of sand. Had a spare replaced it and thats almost as bad. I usually go Nautlius during ownership. This time I will be going with the High / Low note twins with relay. Just need to figure out where to mount them.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I'll check it out, thanks!

EB,  did you give it a try???

EvilBetty

I'm currently "stuck" in Vegas.  I can't believe I miss my bike this much.  Driving down to Hoover and then up through the Valley of Fire, I wish to hell I had rented a bike somewhere once I got here instead of this POS Nisan Versa.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I'm currently "stuck" in Vegas.  I can't believe I miss my bike this much.  Driving down to Hoover and then up through the Valley of Fire, I wish to hell I had rented a bike somewhere once I got here instead of this POS Nisan Versa.

:ImaPoser

I looked up the Versa - it seems to be similar to the NOTE in the UK (where do Nissan dream up these names?).  I have a twisted loyalty to the firm as many friends and family work at the factory in Washington (the one in England) and that gets me good discount.  I drive a Pathfinder which is like a Titan but a bit smaller and without the V8  :cry: .  

Anyway,  "Stuck in Vegas..."  can't be all bad???

EvilBetty

Patty has a 2008 Altima.  Wonderful car.   But this Versa has 40k miles on it as a rental.  Both struts are trashed, passenger side CV joint is about gone, and it needs breaks.  The break squeak and the CV joint clicking are horrible at low speeds with the windows down hehe.  But I will say it handled well as a rally car along the shore of Lake Mead yesterday! :lol:

Well I'm in Vegas for a convention.  I don't gamble, and I'm out here with my girlfriend so that limits my activities :)     We've Hoover and a few area state parks, then saw a couple of shows here on the strip.  I want to sit at the pool and sip some mojitos but this 10-5 convention is making that tough!