News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

coils

Started by Mr. Jetmoto, April 30, 2009, 12:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Jetmoto

Hey would you guys recomend changing coils before there are any problems?  I mean, are they meant to be replaced at regular intervals like spark plugs? Or should I just keep the stockers on there until they go, then replace with nology's?

Mustang

If it taint broke , don't f**k with it !
seriously you might go forever and never need one and then again they could play up at any time . You usually get plenty of notice that something just aint so b4 they fail

95 is running on originals still and 98 is on nologys and the other 98 is running on gills still :shock:

nightrunner

You could go Nology or the TT600 coil swap.   Murphy's law you know.  Make sure you have the later coils (that are crap).  There is a earlier version that is identical to the Nologys; which is likely why Mustang's 95 is still working with them.  There is a thread here with the numbers to look for to determine which ones you have.   I think it was here but if not, then Advrider.  The 98's are crap but don't know when they switched.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mustang

PVL's are the Nology coils  if you pull the sticker off some Nology coils
they are stamped PVL . and yes PVL's can fail too , so can Nology's :shock:
PVL's are made in Germany
Gill are made in UK
 the Gill's coils are the one's that drop like flies .

Thunderbirds and Trophy's are the one's that really suffer from coil problems the most ,

and as far as rhyme or reason what year bike has what there is no rhyme or reason .

Most earlier bikes had PVL's , but a lot had gill coils , my 95 has gill coils on it as OEM originals , still runs just fine after 50 k my 98 with gill coils coughed up one of em at around 35k, replaced the whole set with nologys

MIMbox

Hi there.
If you are thinking of replacing the coils, I would recommend the coil stick route, using the TT600 sticks. The TT600 type fit neatly, are generally cheaper, and tend to come with a "spare" as for some reason, crazy people seem to think if 3 cylinders is good, 4 must be better !! They appear rock solid, and I have been using them for 2 seasons with no issues, after I suffered coil failure with the "standard" type. . with the rubber bung wedging nicely around the top of the plug area, and reduced clutter around the engine. You need to do a litle rewire, but as long as you have the correct connectors with some cable its no problem.

Mr. Jetmoto

Thanks for the advise guys!

I think I'll go with "If it ain't broke don't fix it" :D

nightrunner

Might want to consider carrying a spare though.  They can go without much notice.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril