News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help - Dymag wheels

Started by jackanory, April 30, 2009, 10:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackanory

I bought my '99 Tiger with Dymag wheels on it and the stock wheels as a backup. I decided to swap back to the stock wheels but have run into a few snags. First was the rear Dymag used a front rotor, so I bought a EBC rear and bolted that up. Now the problem is that the caliper is not covering the entire swept area that it should. It is set up for a 310mm front disk and not the 285mm rear. The only thing that could really change the height of the caliper is the carrier.

I've tried to contact the PO but have had no luck with that. Anybody else done a swap to Dymags and know what parts need to be swapped out?

Bruincounselor

I too have an 885 (mine's a 2000) with Dymags. The rotors are stock all around. I made no changes to the carrier or caliper when I made the swap.

I wish I could help you more. I don't know why anyone would bother upgrading the rear brake - it's plenty if you are already on the fronts.

I wonder if the Daytona or something else that used the same swingarm had a larger rear rotor? Perhaps check bikebandit.com or Baxters in Iowa
Bruin\'

jackanory

I scoured BikeBandit looking for clues as to what parts might have been changed. No help there.

It is odd because I found a few pics of Tigers with Dymags and they had the stock rear disk, don't know why mine is different.

I've come to the conclusion that it must be the caliper carrier that was swapped out, there really doesn't seem to be any other way to accommodate a larger rotor so I will order a new one and hope it is the answer. If not, then I send it back to BikeBandit and eat the restocking and shipping fees.

Bruincounselor

You might try Baxters first. They might have a use carrier around that wouldn't cost as much -and if you talk nice they might be willing to take it back for less  :D
Bruin\'

Chris Canning

Can't really help either,i also use Dymags and the rear disc is stock,just buy a secondhand carrier i guess, to go with a stock disc.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "jackanory"I scoured BikeBandit looking for clues as to what parts might have been changed. No help there.

It is odd because I found a few pics of Tigers with Dymags and they had the stock rear disk, don't know why mine is different.

How about a photo? I can post up a photo of the stock setup
Bruin\'

jackanory

It is definitely Triumph parts. I'm hoping it is not the caliper bracket because I didn't see anywhere in BikeBandit where that could be purchased separate.

Chris Canning

Chris Canning

Looks to me as though your rear disc(rotor) is too big.

jackanory

No, if the disk was bigger there would be no problem! The set-up now is for a front disk (13") and not a stock rear (11.4"). But by the looks of the angle of the dogbone strut to the caliper carrier I'd say that I have a longer than stock carrier and what I need is the stock one and I should be all set.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "jackanory"No, if the disk was bigger there would be no problem! The set-up now is for a front disk (13") and not a stock rear (11.4"). But by the looks of the angle of the dogbone strut to the caliper carrier I'd say that I have a longer than stock carrier and what I need is the stock one and I should be all set.

The carrierdoes not appear to be stock. The end that attaches to the axle is different. It might be the picture but almost looks like a different piece was grafted on to change the length.

I'd try Baxters to see if they have the part in stock.
Bruin\'