News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Science and Philosophy of waving...

Started by EvilBetty, May 07, 2009, 07:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Ok I'm not a snob or an unfriendly jerk, but I'm from the city.  The only people we wave at from our car, are people we know, and the police  :D

Bikers around here (for the most part) seem to wave at anyone and everyone on a bike.  I even get people on scooters wave... some how it feels wrong to acknowledge those types, but I do when I can...  "Those Types" and "When I can" being the subject...

I was coming to a stop light the other day, so I had the clutch pulled and brake pulled as another rider coming from the opposite direction gave me that "Look I can touch my foot peg) wave.  Since I couldn't take me hand off the bars I gave him as much as a nod as I could while trying to complete my stop.  That low wave went to a high middle finger.

So before passing judgment I'm here to understand the science and philosophy of biker waving...

Are Hardley riders (not a spelling error) not allowed to  wave at non-Hardley riders?

Are Sports Bike riders required to ride with one hand for safety?

Are specific types of waves for your type of bike?
-Sports Bike = Touch your toes?
-Hardleys =  I can't wave or else my sleeveless T-shirt armor might fly off?
-Touring Bikes = everyday normal bent elbow shoulder height wave?
-Scooters = Bob from the "male enhancement" ads, wave.

But then I see the wave from below the handle bars from almost all types of riders so I'm guessing this is the standard customary greeting?

Yesterday I saw a new one, I'll call the "overtake wave".  As a sport bike passed me on a 4 lane highway he seemed to flash a Circle K gang sign at me with his left hand, as if he were pointing out a rare Missouri Moose sighting on the right side of the highway maybe.  I didn't know how to respond to this.  I didn't figure he could see me anyway.

So then there's the issue of "When I can".  

Doesn't a fellow rider understand that their are times when a rider can't take his hands off the bars, or is one expected to drop to N or use rear brake to extend a proper greeting?

Does a nod not suffice in such situations?  

Maybe I should do the chicken dance with my elbows and knees as a substitute?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

outrunner

A nice nod is quite the thing in the UK, Harley riders..............that's another story.  :wink:

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

oxnsox

I think you forgot another import subgroup...  BMW riders....  As a subset they're close to the Concrete Pump riders, with the exception that instead of wearing a wife beater vest they have fully tailored bespoke riding kit.....

Wave, nod, shake a leg or raise a finger...  there are no rules... folks on all bikes will do it sometime. (Probably depends on who they think can see them)

Of course you can always use the SAFE wave  ... simply by opening the hand out and lifting all the fingers as you pass. (you keep your hand on the grip and simple rock left to right..  works for either hand too!!)  :lol:
The  thing is that unless the other rider is looking for some acknowledgment they wont see it because your hand is mostly behind the guard.  And you know you waved.....

Tis a vexing
I guess the big question is, on that day halfway down the highway who'd you pull over to help....  and who'd pull over for you??
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

zadok_oz

I tend to stick to the nod 99% of the time.
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

TheMule

OK, gotta say, I've had dramatically better luck with Harley Riders than several other groups. Starting with the social invertebrates and moving towards those with the best interaction (reverse order):

1) Goldwing folks -  theory is they are too old to respond quickly enough to a wave.

2) BMW Riders - Simply better than the rest of us

3) Harley riders - Mostly stuck on the harley thing but we are riding British after all

4) Sport bike rider - just looking for attention/want to be recognized by anyone

5) Real dual Sport folks -  Salt of the earth

just my observations  :D ,

Todd
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

HappyMan

One must ask the question: "What is the motivation for your wave?".  Are you waving to someone to be acknowledged that you waved?  I only wave to share my joy of riding.  I could care less if they wave back at me.  I wasn't waving to get a response.  I was simply waving to share my joy.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Yukon

TheMule

Yukon,

Had to forward this to several folks, thanks!
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

EvilBetty

LOL those are good!
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bruincounselor

I wave at everybody. Ya never know their story. It's their problem if they have an issue with what I'm riding or the color of my helmet, or the fact that I wear one or.... I hope you get the idea.

Although - I pulled out in front of a cruiser rider yesterday on my way home from school: He had his left signal on and appeared to be pulling to the left side of the lane so I assumed he was actually turning. Unfortunately I was on my CT90 that has a major hesitation off idle and in the few moments it took to get it up to speed he passed me with a wave of his own.  :x

3 things I'm taking out of this encounter:
1. I need to give myself more space entering traffic or get around to fixing the hesitation (anyone know much about old carbs?) Never assume anything.
2. Remember to cancel the turn signal, the outcome might have been worse if I was driving. Never assume anything.
3. It is nice to be recognized - even if it was a 1 finger wave :D
Bruin\'

matttys

Quote from: "TheMule"2) BMW Riders - Simply better than the rest of us.

Thank you for noticing how awesome I really am  8)  BMWs really have all the fun. . .

Notice my fancy BMW rididng gear!

As for waving I have criteria:

1) Rider first waves to me. . . never initiate a wave (it's uncool).

2) Is the rider wearing gear/helmet?

3) Do I like the bike?  Supermoto, dual sport or other cool bikes only get waves.

4) Is my fiancee on the back of my bike?

If 1, 2 and 3 are met, I give a slight wave.  If 1, 2, 3 and 4 are met, my fiancee waves.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

aeronca

i really like the super cool low waves i get from the cruuuuuizer folk - i will usually return it with an arm held as high as i can over my head shaking it in a spastic rhythm not un like that of a chimp on speed.  but i do wave to all i can safely, and if they dont like it - well, you know the rest. :lol:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

There is no BMW in this picture. :roll:

From parts unknown.

SERadtke

Quote from: "JetdocX"There is no BMW in this picture. :roll:

SO?!!!!! :wink:
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

SERadtke

There HAS to be a story behind that picture, and I'm dieing to hear it!
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!