News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Day off

Started by haulin' daze, May 22, 2009, 07:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haulin' daze

I wasn't planning on taking the day off today...

Riding to work I realized I needed something out of my Givi topbox. I pull into a gas station parking lot and shut the bike down to get the key out for the box. When I go to fire it back up 20 seconds later, not enough juice for the starter motor (I'm thinking alternator). I check all electrical connections that are visible, and fuses for what it's worth.

$150 and 2 1/2 hours later, my bike is being lowered off the tow truck at my local dealer.  :BangHead Battery's showing 11 1/2. Seems to think it may be alternator but will service it a little later as they were busy.

05 with 9800 miles.

Anyone have something similar happen?

mrazekan

Sorry to hear about the bike but you are kidding right?

No new posts    Girlies    Regarding Charging System Failures [ Goto pageGoto page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5 ]
No new posts    Girlies    Charging system woes
No new posts     Girlies     Stator replacement observations
No new posts    Girlies    24K service completed!
No new posts    Girlies    Battery goes down at High RPM´s (bike dead in the highway) [ Goto pageGoto page: 1, 2, 3 ]
No new posts    Girlies    dead battery Or Blown Fuse? hmmmm [ Goto pageGoto page: 1, 2 ]
No new posts    Girlies    another charging system failure
No new posts    Girlies    Tiger Faults and Weaknesses

Do a search in girlies for stator and ricks.  Start with "Regarding Charging System Failure"  Then look at "Charging system woes".

TigerTrax

\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

haulin' daze

Tom Herold

Um......???  I'm speachless...... I'll send ya a PM haulin' daze so we don't disturb the natives.....
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

Stretch

Screw the natives.  Post it in the open so we all can learn a thing or two.

mrazekan

Oh that whole internet and sarcasm doesn't work very well.

I wanted to cut and paste the links for all of those threads but I didn't have the time to.  I thought I was being doing well and showing him the titles of the threads.  Definitely letting him know that he is not alone at least right?  No harm intended.

Stretch, I may differ from you a bit about posting in the open.  If there is a common problem, why not keep all experiences to that problem in a common thread?  This way you don't have to click through every single thread to pull together ideas on how to resolve your problem.

To me, "Regarding Charging System Failures" is a great general charging system thread dealing primarily with blown up stators and regulators.  "Charging system woes", when you look at the initial post and some of the follow up comments, describes a specific failure associated with E-Sport stators and the inability of some of their stators to put out enough power to run the Girly.

My 2 pesos.

P.S.  Not a native.  I'm new here and just trying to help.

Stretch

Quote from: "mrazekan"Stretch, I may differ from you a bit about posting in the open.  If there is a common problem, why not keep all experiences to that problem in a common thread?  This way you don't have to click through every single thread to pull together ideas on how to resolve your problem.

On the other hand, a fellow who has a problem with his bike is entitled to have his individual problem dealt with in his own thread here, instead of having to wade through 5+ pages (and growing) of questions and answers in another thread.

If you know of a thread that might help, post a link to it... that way all the information is still readily available.

mrazekan

Quote from: "Stretch"On the other hand, a fellow who has a problem with his bike is entitled to have his individual problem dealt with in his own thread here, instead of having to wade through 5+ pages (and growing) of questions and answers in another thread.

If you know of a thread that might help, post a link to it... that way all the information is still readily available.

You seem to assume we are some sort of community with an interest in helping other people and sharing experiences.

(there I go with the sarcasm again  :wink: )

Great point.  I'm with it.

TigerTrax

I should apologize to 'mrazekan'....

my  BULLSHIT  comment was NOT directed to him or his message.....
it WAS a response to 'hearing ONE MORE of these stator DESIGN FLAW problems' that Triumph incorporated into their product. I hope the bastard that decided to specify that part at the lowest cost' to the 'company' has a breakdown in the middle of  Death Valley ..... in July....with no water!

So 'mrazken' I hope you will accept my apology.

TigerTrax
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

haulin' daze

"Can't we all just get along?"
                        --The great Rodney King--

I get a lot of flack for my sarcasim in emails because it's so hard to tell between it and being an a-hole. I don't take anything personaly unless it is 100% directed that way. No big deal, I understand now that there has been quite a bit written on the subject. I rarely get much time on the computer, and even less on this site (I'd be here all the time if it were up to me. You guys know your sh!t.).  :notworthy

Back to the subject, I am amazed at the amount of similar problems. When I dropped the bike off I told the service guy that I thought I read some other Tiger owners having problems with the charging system. He told me he's never seen a problem like that on any Triumph. I'll contact him again Tuesday when the open back up.

This thread needs a group hug.

mrazekan

Quote from: "TigerTrax"I should apologize to 'mrazekan'....

Senior TigreTrax,

No apology necessary.  Since I was not 100% sure it was directed at my post, I assumed it was.  I guess sarcasm and intent are sometimes difficult to communicate without visual cues or tonal inflections.

I agree with the call though.  I've ridden a few bikes in my short time riding.  With the tiger I thought I found the perfect bike for purposes of Adventure Long Term travel:  

Where it leads:
     - The engine is amazing and smooth as butter (KTM nor BMW meet this)
     - The bike handles twisties VERY well (KTM doesn't)
     - The bike has soul (sorry Vstrom)

Compromises:
     - Off-road capability of suspension (KTM is Butter)
     - Accessory power available (Not a problem for me but BMW is much better)

Oh that sucks:
     - Lack of accessories (need I say more?)

SERIOUSLY!?:
     - Stators and rotors fry (Though we make up a small portion of all Tiger owners, this really sucks!)

So given my values, and what I have stated above, without the stator issue, it would be the perfect bike for my ADV traveling needs!  

But wait, I still really am liking this bike!

Stretch

Quote from: "mrazekan"- Stators and rotors fry (Though we make up a small portion of all Tiger owners, this really sucks!)

Stators and Regulator / Rectifiers are frying.  The rotor is a permanent magnet that should last centuries.

mrazekan

Quote from: "Stretch"Stators and Regulator / Rectifiers are frying.  The rotor is a permanent magnet that should last centuries.

Yeah! What HE said.  I meant RR.  At least I got the first letter right!

oxnsox

QuoteCompromises:
- Off-road capability of suspension (KTM is Butter)

...and Butters better right????
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~