News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

my 7'1" 270 lbs brother just bought a new Tiger

Started by TallRob, June 16, 2009, 06:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallRob

my brother is new to biking. just got licenced. I told him about my search for a bike for tall guys. You should have seen him in the MSF class. They took a photo of him,. pretty damn hilarious. anyways, I told him that it may be too much bike for guys like us. He said, listen listen. We are tall. We are SOL on most 400 -650cc bikes that fit us. He does have a point. When you are tall and your on a starter bike. Its akin to an adult trying to ride a 7yr old boys bike. It can be dangerous. Well, he has since riden about 500-800miles. He has the tall seat and risers. Happier than a pig in poop. He said, that he thinks his hieght feels like it gives him better control. He told me that he has less trouble in slow manuvers on this tiger than on the 250cc msf trainers. Again, adult on a kids bike can be impossible to turn at slow speed. S0, this give me hope. Even though I have ridden bikes. its been about 20 years. My bro has never been on a bike. Ive driven behind him and he does seem to have things down. WHen he sits on that bike boy does its suspension compress.the bike still looks small on him. I told him to get some crash bars on asap. Funny that he had to get the bike i wanted. He originally wanted a bmw gs. but none in that line fit him.

abruzzi

Must be something in the water supply, damn.

Geof

TallRob

so far my bro is luving the Tiger. He says its more forgiving than he was let on to beleive. Not as scary powerful feeling as people were saying. But, he is being prudent with the throttle. He says with every ride he loves it more and his confidence grows. i told him dont get over confident because thats when bad things happen. He agreed. He thinks his weight is definetly having an effect on the engine and suspension. Taking some of the power and crisp handling away. I told him see, being a fat bastard does have its advantages. It slows the bike down and makes it safer for a big idiot like you. He promptly gave me the finger and rode away.

abruzzi

did he get a 1050 or a different model?

TallRob

He got himself a black 1050 tiger with ABS and the tall seat.
Quote from: "abruzzi"did he get a 1050 or a different model?

TallRob

I think when I get my 1050 Tiger Ill install that "98ps restrictor kit" to limit HP in the bike for the first year or so. im goingto see if my bro will put it on his. Just to see how it works. Its supposed to cut HP to the 33-98HP range and costs around $50 to $60 bucks. There are two different kits. based on HP.
A9618079 RESTRICTOR KIT, 98PS  - 96hp (sounds like it would make much a of a difference)
A9618078 RESTRICTOR KIT, 34PS  - 33hp (sounds like it cuts too much HP from the bike. Am I wrong?, I mean, would 33hp be able to move a 1050 tiger safely?)

Or maybe Im reading things wrong. Maybe it cuts 33HP or 96HP off the engine. So, then maybe 33HP cut off from the total maybe just right for a bike of the Tigers and rider combined weight. What say you all? This could effectively get more noobs onto tigers in a safer way.

abruzzi

Quote from: "TallRob"I think when I get my 1050 Tiger Ill install that "98ps restrictor kit" to limit HP in the bike for the first year or so. im goingto see if my bro will put it on his. Just to see how it works. Its supposed to cut HP to the 33-98HP range and costs around $50 to $60 bucks. There are two different kits. based on HP.
A9618079 RESTRICTOR KIT, 98PS  - 96hp (sounds like it would make much a of a difference)
A9618078 RESTRICTOR KIT, 34PS  - 33hp (sounds like it cuts too much HP from the bike. Am I wrong?, I mean, would 33hp be able to move a 1050 tiger safely?)

Or maybe Im reading things wrong. Maybe it cuts 33HP or 96HP off the engine. So, then maybe 33HP cut off from the total maybe just right for a bike of the Tigers and rider combined weight. What say you all? This could effectively get more noobs onto tigers in a safer way.

These kits exist because in many European countries there are power restrictions for beginning riders.  If you are not legally obligated to do this to your bike I don't think it would be worth it unless you were a 5'4" 110 person that had never ridden before.  The 1050 is a powerful motor (I had a 2006 Speed Triple) but it's power deliver is so linear that it is super easy to control.  Also consider that your weight (I'm guessing 200+ lbs, judging by your height and shoe size) acts as an inertial damper.

I'd say have your brother let you test ride his, I don't think you'll find it too much.

Geof

TallRob

Riding his bike, yeah Ive tried, he just gives me the finger, laughs and rides away. But I will sneek a ride sooner or later.
Quote from: "abruzzi"
Quote from: "TallRob"I think when I get my 1050 Tiger Ill install that "98ps restrictor kit" to limit HP in the bike for the first year or so. im goingto see if my bro will put it on his. Just to see how it works. Its supposed to cut HP to the 33-98HP range and costs around $50 to $60 bucks. There are two different kits. based on HP.

These kits exist because in many European countries there are power restrictions for beginning riders.  If you are not legally obligated to do this to your bike I don't think it would be worth it unless you were a 5'4" 110 person that had never ridden before.  The 1050 is a powerful motor (I had a 2006 Speed Triple) but it's power deliver is so linear that it is super easy to control.  Also consider that your weight (I'm guessing 200+ lbs, judging by your height and shoe size) acts as an inertial damper.

I'd say have your brother let you test ride his, I don't think you'll find it too much.

Geof

TallRob

Well here is what it looks like for a Datona. Pretty simple DIY stuff, really. I think. :icon_scratch

akendall1966

I am not quit your brothers height at a mere 6'6" but carry similar weight and have been running a 98 steamer. I expect the suspension on a 1050 is much better sorted but getting the springs uprated makes a big difference for bigger riders mine used to sag way too much at the front, torque was enough too lift up the front but every time you changed gear the forks sag back 3" or more. Changed the springs for 1Kg/mm rated one from sonic springs and its much better behaved now. Just need to save some cash to change the shock too as the back sqirms a bit in the bends when loaded up if it is a bit bumpy.

Your debate on the restrictor kit reminded me a race meet I was at watching a novice class on stock Honda CB500s which were probably not much more than 30~40HP. Anyway saw a guy highside in the chicane and he probably got 6' in the air from a CB500, So the important restrictor is the one in your head that controls the right hand, 'cause even 30bhp will hurt you if used inappropriately.

AK
----AK-----