News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Disabling headlight relays for UK MOT

Started by alf885, June 19, 2009, 08:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alf885

I have the Squaredeals headlight realys fitted to my '06 Tiger. It's due an MOT very soon and I was wondering, I'm sure I recall this quick fix, if you can disable them for the MOT test. I seem to remember that removal of a fuse will return the headlights to original spec. Was I dreaming this? alf

HockleyBoy

Why do you want to disable the relays?, I don't think they can fail you for having twin headlights. My bike had the additional relays fitted very early on and has always passed its MOTs with both headlights working.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

iansoady

It probably depends on the MoT station but AFAIK it's a construction & use regulation rather than an MoT requirement.

But in any case there's not a fuse that will do the job. I've got mine set up with only one headlight on dip but both on main - but I don't do much night riding unless I have to.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

alf885

Quote from: "HockleyBoy"Why do you want to disable the relays?, I don't think they can fail you for having twin headlights. My bike had the additional relays fitted very early on and has always passed its MOTs with both headlights working.

The alignment of the headlights may not satisfy the tester. Maybe, maybe not but I thought if there was a quick fix it'd save me any hassle.

Bixxer Bob

I specifically asked my tester when I booked mine in whether I should remove the relays or not for the MOT.  He said it wasn't a pass or fail issue so to leave them in.

It's only a 5min job to pull them but ask when you book like I did, you might save yourself the effort.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

outrunner

When I got my 06 tested the mechanic said one of the lights was casting a small shadow in the wrong place. He fixed it with a small triangular mask made from insulating tape. After giving me the pass certificate he said "what you do with the tape when you leave here is up to you"  :D

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

greg

Yep, don't bother changing back, mine passed again last week without any comment (Other than of course "I wish I was cool enough to ride a bike like that  :lol: ).
2004 Girly.